Hard climbing sore arm

So it seems like whenever I start to really push myself for a period of time long enough to improve my left bicep gets sore/tender and the feeling continues into my forearm. This does not happen after just one day of hard climbing but usually takes more than a few days of hard climbing(ie pushing myself) to feel it. For example, I climbed last Saturday, Monday, Wednesday, Saturday, and then started feeling it yesterday(Sunday). I don’t believe its overtraining because I have been taking rest days and eating well. I also don’t have this problem in winter when I’m ice climbing and training pull-ups and lock offs. Someone told me they thought it was a pinched nerve. I web md that and don’t believe it to be the case. Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to stop masturbating so vigorously during your rest days.

Damn you really are Snide ! Welcome and nice call on the diagnosis. :grin:

Now maybe a real Dr. can step in?

Hi I am Dr. Bone. I will have to state you have strain of the oblique muscles. Please take the time to rest and not put more strain on yourself. Thank you.

Eric,

Do you have health insurance? If so, go see a doctor. You pay for the service... use it!

If you don't have health insurance at least go see a massage therapist.

These things need to be diagnosed in person.

Maybe you should try masturbating with the left hand for a while as training.

OK, here is my wank:

I would guess you are still overtraining you bicep. You probably have a mild strain going on that gets aggravated when you over stress the muscle (or tendon) with too much of one type of exercise. I would recommend that you first of all take even more time off in between climbing sessions, and vary the exercise stress on that muscle more. For example, climbing on Saturdays and Wednesdays, then doing some sort of other full body exercise on Mondays and Fridays (like rowing, or resistance training). You want to strengthen the climbing muscles as much as possible so you improve, right? Intuitively we think "more climbing is better!" however that can be the wrong plan of attack. It should be "better climbing is better". Pain should be the guide. If your performance starts to decrease because of pain, go rest those muscles and exercise other ones.

In the past I've had similar type injuries to my quads, triceps, and finger flexors. Climbing feels great most of the time, but when doing too much for too many days in a row it starts to kill, you know something is up. My last ramble wank would be, just try and get the muscle healed and strong before this turns into a chronic problem. - Thats certainly my problem......