crossfithel bbq/open house

"How well are they able to adjust their training to people with injuries or other limitations like arthritis?"

My experience is that they do a great job with this. A climbing buddy of mine has been training with Crossfit for a few years now and spent a lot of time trying to get me to come to the gym and check things out. He had realized some great gains and was starting to blow past me in the mountains. I kept saying no because of all the talk of heinously hard workouts. I have been plagued with injuries for the past five years (major plantar fasciatis, low back issues and arthritis in many joints) and was afraid that the workouts would cause me greater problems due to their intensity. When I first joined I spent some time talking with them regarding my injuries and due to the personal nature of the gym they were able to work with my issues through reduced intensity in certain exercises through scaling or just subbing in other things to replace movements that might aggravate my situation. There are a number of people in the classes with all sorts of injuries from various activities and they are quite good at keeping track of and working with that.

In general I’ve found that the workouts I’ve been getting seem to be doing a much better job of preventing injury and helping to work through past stuff. I feel better than I ever have doing more traditional exercise of cardio/weights. The other benefit is the awesome group dynamic of the classes. Very positive and supportive and quite a few other climber, skier types as well. One of the great things about the program is that’s it’s scalable to anyone’s needs. There are people there who can do 50 pull ups and people who can’t do a single one. The scalability and variety of exercises allows a lot of flexibility in working with injuries. I don’t need to tell you this but the main thing is to talk with the trainer/owners and let them know what your issues are and see what they have to say.

I can’t speak for other Crossfit affiliates aside from Eastside Crossfit but would hope you would have similar experiences at other facilities. That being said, the personal nature of the Crossfit program means that the ‘flavor’ of the gym is very dependant on who is running the show.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On Friday, Dec 14th, 2007, CrossFit Human Evolution Labs is having a holiday party for all members, member candidates, and guests. The party will start at 4:00PM and go until everyone leaves.

RSVP's are encouraged so they can get an idea on how much food to get - and how many kegs to get! To RSVP, call or email.

www.crossfithel.com

Good opportunity to see what crossfit is all about.

• 4 weeks later...

Beginning Jan 8th CrossFitHEL is adding a second FREE Work Out of the Day (WOD).

Every Tuesday @ 7 pm and/or Saturday @ 1pm anyone curious about xfit even if you have never done xfit before or very little (this means you Melissa) is encouraged to drop in for a free session.

Check the website either the day of or the night before to see where we will be working out

Be ~10 minutes early so you have time to warm up

Hope to see some new faces soon!

• 2 weeks later...
"How well are they able to adjust their training to people with injuries or other limitations like arthritis?"

My experience is that they do a great job with this. A climbing buddy of mine has been training with Crossfit for a few years now and spent a lot of time trying to get me to come to the gym and check things out. He had realized some great gains and was starting to blow past me in the mountains. I kept saying no because of all the talk of heinously hard workouts. I have been plagued with injuries for the past five years (major plantar fasciatis, low back issues and arthritis in many joints) and was afraid that the workouts would cause me greater problems due to their intensity. When I first joined I spent some time talking with them regarding my injuries and due to the personal nature of the gym they were able to work with my issues through reduced intensity in certain exercises through scaling or just subbing in other things to replace movements that might aggravate my situation. There are a number of people in the classes with all sorts of injuries from various activities and they are quite good at keeping track of and working with that.

In general I’ve found that the workouts I’ve been getting seem to be doing a much better job of preventing injury and helping to work through past stuff. I feel better than I ever have doing more traditional exercise of cardio/weights. The other benefit is the awesome group dynamic of the classes. Very positive and supportive and quite a few other climber, skier types as well. One of the great things about the program is that’s it’s scalable to anyone’s needs. There are people there who can do 50 pull ups and people who can’t do a single one. The scalability and variety of exercises allows a lot of flexibility in working with injuries. I don’t need to tell you this but the main thing is to talk with the trainer/owners and let them know what your issues are and see what they have to say.

I can’t speak for other Crossfit affiliates aside from Eastside Crossfit but would hope you would have similar experiences at other facilities. That being said, the personal nature of the Crossfit program means that the ‘flavor’ of the gym is very dependant on who is running the show.

So thanks for this imput. I started right away with regular personal training and had a great experience. Last night was my first class. It was much more fun than I'd expected. I'm very happy!

So thanks for this imput. I started right away with regular personal training and had a great experience. Last night was my first class. It was much more fun than I'd expected. I'm very happy!

I'm glad to hear it's working out for you. What gym did you end up trying out?

any thing like that down this direction??(Eugene Or) my diagnosis is sticking (psoriatic arthritis) i got a chance to check out some x-rays of my bones sacrum looks a little worse for the wear. as in i have actual bone loss/damage... I refuse to give up being active but i need something that can work with me and people who can help me set realistic atainable goals so i don't feel like such a shelb all the time.

Edited by Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer

any thing like that down this direction??(Eugene Or) my diagnosis is sticking (psoriatic arthritis) i got a chance to check out some x-rays of my bones sacrum looks a little worse for the wear. as in i have actual bone loss/damage... I refuse to give up being active but i need something that can work with me and people who can help me set realistic atainable goals so i don't feel like such a shelb all the time.

Muffy - Crossfit is everywhere. Go here and look at the affliates list on the right hand side. You'll have to scroll, but you can see if there's a Eugene one or nearby. Considering there are two garage gym (one a true affliate) near me, I have to assume there are some near you.

All the workouts can be scaled. They can be done by any age or fitness level. You know me. If I can do this, so can you! And everyone is really supportive. My instructor never makes me feel uncomfortable or like I totally sucked (even though I do). It's all about getting in shape and personal improvement.

I use this forum to get the scaled workout of the day (WOD) when I'm heading to a garage gym to work out. It's really fun and a great way to get in shape. It really helps the climbing, too!

You want a killer full body workout in 10mintues?

Without the fees?

In the refreshing outside air?

Let me recommend OWFit.

5"-7" overhanging cracks.

Makes those WODs seem like a Tahitian vacation.

Owwwww.

I'd take a 5"-7" OW over 'Linda' or 'Total Death' any day...

'Linda'

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1 1/2 body weight

Bench press: body weight

Clean: 3/4 body weight

Set up three bars and storm through for time.

'Total Death'

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 reps of the triplet:

Deadlift: 1.5 X body weight

Back Squat: 1.25 X body weight

Shoulder Press: .75 X body weight

Set up three bars and storm through for time.

Hey Rudy! Today's HQ post is just for you :)...

You want a killer full body workout in 10mintues?

Without the fees?

In the refreshing outside air?

Let me recommend OWFit.

5"-7" overhanging cracks.

Makes those WODs seem like a Tahitian vacation.

Owwwww.

that sounds just my style :moondance:

Muffy - Crossfit is everywhere. Go here and look at the affliates list on the right hand side. You'll have to scroll, but you can see if there's a Eugene one or nearby. Considering there are two garage gym (one a true affliate) near me, I have to assume there are some near you.

All the workouts can be scaled. They can be done by any age or fitness level. You know me. If I can do this, so can you! And everyone is really supportive. My instructor never makes me feel uncomfortable or like I totally sucked (even though I do). It's all about getting in shape and personal improvement.

I use this forum to get the scaled workout of the day (WOD) when I'm heading to a garage gym to work out. It's really fun and a great way to get in shape. It really helps the climbing, too!

I will look into it. i have lost a ton of muscle mass and streangth in the past few months. I feel like i am wasting away. :( although i did climb a little last night.