What makes you fart?

kevbone

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man I love the Sandlot.....

Ok, so today I ate some tuna fish on Ezekiel toast for lunch. I went into my chemistry lecture, and basically turned a converation about Liquid Entropy changes into a full blown discussion on GAS DISSOCIATION.....

Yeah, it smelled like HELL!

As with ken4ord and DeC on this one... Whole roasted elephant garlic cloves on crostini

Other usual suspects...

Turkey

Refried beans

Burger King onion rings (oh GAWD, the stench! And the humidity in the room goes up like 75% :laf:)

Pork loin, chops, or roast

Broccoli

Cabbage

Sauerkraut

Crab meat

I'll come up with more after refresh testing... :eveeel:

This actually is from the old Merck Manual, I shit you not.

The Merck Manual of Diagnosis And Therapy, 16th edition

GAS

Symptoms, Signs, and Diagnosis

Excessive gas is commonly thought to cause abdominal pain, bloating, distention, belching, or passage of excessively voluminous or noxious flatus. However, excessive intestinal gas has not been clearly linked to the above complaints; it is likely that many symptoms are incorrectly attributed to "too much gas." In most normal persons, 1 L of gas/h can be infused antegrade into the gut with a minimum of symptoms, while persons with gas problems often cannot tolerate much smaller quantities. Similarly, retrograde colonic distention by balloon inflation or during colonoscopy often elicits severe discomfort in patients with the irritable bowel syndrome, while causing minimal symptoms in other people. Thus, the basic abnormality in persons with gas-related problems may be a hypersensitive intestine. Altered motility may contribute further to symptoms; gas could be the inciting agent or have no role in their pathogenesis.

Repeated belching indicates aerophagia. Some persons with this problem can readily produce a series of belches on command. This form of belching is due to unconscious, repeated aspiration of air into the esophagus, often in response to stress, followed by rapid expulsion. When such habitual aspiration is suspected, patient education and behavior modification should be undertaken rather than extensive medical evaluation and drug therapy.

In the splenic flexure syndrome, swallowed air becomes trapped in the splenic flexure and may cause diffuse abdominal distention. Left upper quadrant fullness and pressure radiating to the left side of the chest may result. There is increased tympany in the extreme left lateral aspect of the upper abdomen. Relief occurs with defecation or passage of flatus.

Infantile colic is a syndrome of presumed "crampy" abdominal pain. Such infants appear to pass an excessive amount of gas. However, recent data showed no increase in H2 production or increase in mouth-to-cecum transit times in colicky infants. Hence, the cause of this syndrome remains unclear.

Flatulence: Among those who are flatulent, the quantity and frequency of gas passage shows great variability. As with bowel frequency, persons who complain of flatulence often have a misconception of what is normal. In a study of 8 normal men aged 25 to 35 yr, the average number of gas passages was 13 ± 4 in one day with an upper limit of 21/day, which overlapped with many persons who complained of excess flatus. On the other hand, one study noted a person who expelled gas as often as 141 times daily, including 70 passages in one 4-h period. Hence, objectively recording flatus frequency should be the first step in evaluating a complaint of excessive flatulence.

This symptom, which can cause great psychosocial distress, is unofficially described according to its salient characteristics:

1. The "slider" (crowded elevator type), which is released slowly and noiselessly, sometimes with devastating effect;

2. The open sphincter, or "pooh" type, which is said to be of higher temperature and more aromatic;

3. The staccato or drumbeat type, pleasantly passed in privacy; and

4. (4) the "bark" type (described in a personal communication) is characterized by a sharp exclamatory eruption that effectively interrupts (and often concludes) conversation. Aromaticity is not a prominent feature.

Rarely, this usually distressing symptom has been turned to advantage, as with a Frenchman referred to as "Le Petomane," who became affluent as an effluent performer who played tunes with the gas from his rectum on the Moulin Rouge stage. Despite the flammable nature of flatal H2 and CH4, no hazard is likely to those working near open flames, and youngsters have even been known to make a game of expelling gas over a match flame. However, gas explosion, rarely with fatal outcome, has been reported during jejunal and colonic surgery, and even during proctosigmoidoscopic procedures, where diathermy was used.

Because "excessive gas" symptoms are so nonspecific and commonly overlap with the irritable bowel syndrome (see above) as well as with organic disease, a careful history is essential to guide the extent of medical evaluation. Long-standing symptoms in a young person who is otherwise well and has not lost weight are unlikely to be caused by serious organic disease. The older person, especially with the onset of new symptoms, merits more thorough examination before "excessive gas," real or imagined, is treated.

If it's a thread about poo, farts, or other gastro-intestinal issues, you can be sure that E-rock will be all over it.

If you weren't such a n00b, you'd know that already. :smirk:

Carry on, E-rock. Shit all over this thread. :laf:

Pretty much EVERYTHING makes me fart. And my ass is fuckin' STANK. I'm the worst you've ever met. Believe it.

I believe you....and we have never met......and stay off my thread bitch......Or are you not "ignoring" me anymore?

I would think you'd be proud that everybody wants to ignore you.