how to respect lazy climbers....

bumbass

i agree that if someone can move quickly, allowing folks to jump on and pass should be common sense/courtesy. however, i've had folks request to pass saying that they had done it before and it won't take long, then they proceed to haaaaaaaaaaannnnnnggggg all the way up it. if you can't back it up, don't pass, wait your turn patiently or go do something else, its not like there aren't TONS of fun (hard and easy) access routes to higher up stuff.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

however, i've had folks request to pass saying that they had done it before and it won't take long, then they proceed to haaaaaaaaaaannnnnnggggg all the way up it.

Ditto. You never know who can back up their chestbeating. The more humble the climber, the better they are.

Instead of chopping an anchor, what we actually need is a NEW anchor atop of JG short. Put one situated on the ledge (the natural spot for an anchor). Then the 10a climbers can set up there. If someone wants to "play through" then you know they'll at least be able to make it the current anchors easily and won't hang all over it. They will then be past the ground-level gang-ropers in quick fashion and will be able to attack the meat of the pitch without hurrying or bothering anyone.

In fact, gang-ropers could just set up their toprope gear on a couple of long slings, just for this occasion!

Listen to the wisdom of the Lunch-Lady when the cafeteria runs out of corn dogs: "First come, first served, Buster." It ain't like Japanese Gardens is the only route at Index. If you got specific "ambitions", get up earlier than the other guys.

Lunch lady would say, "quit your whining and go for the Sloppy Joe instead." And if you think you're somehow better or higher priority than those aid climbers who are out there monopolizing "your route", you aren't. Climbing is pretty lame to start with and those guys, like you, are just trying to have a big day of adventure.

Go ahead...ask the lunch lady near you...she'll set you straight!

lunchlady.jpgFIGR-1660.jpg

Instead of chopping an anchor, what we actually need is a NEW anchor atop of JG short. Put one situated on the ledge (the natural spot for an anchor). Then the 10a climbers can set up there.

Logically since this would essentially define a new route, the climb up to such alternate/short anchors should be named something different to avoid confusion. Something catchy and meaningful, like "Gang-hangers."

-Japenese Gardens p2, p3 p4.

-Stiff Kittens

-Cheesburgers on Trial

-TPMV p2, p3, p4

-Trout Farm Massacre.

-Journey to Pitar

The natural approach for all these pitches is Japenese Gardens. Godzilla, Princley through Newest and the GNS are also options but most of the time are jammed. One could get there from the Middle Wall...but that would take hours.

Did TPMV's upper pitches last weekend and the aid climbers racking up at the base of Japanese were kind enough to let us through. Thank you to whoever that was.

The amount of days that I have gone to the lower wall to climb these upper pitches and had to scrap those plans because of mega huge top rope parties dominating the first 50' of Japenese gardens is staggering.

I'm hopeful that someday those climbers who love to hangout on this small chunk of amazing stone will realize what lies above, and that there are potentially climbers who would love to get up there.

I didn't remove the anchor but I do support the removal of this anchor. This is a bottleneck problem.

That said, I understand the much larger majority of Index enthusiasts who just can't wait till the weekend to camp out beneath Japanese Short and test their mettle on one of the shortest 10a's around.

Happy Climbing!

Ben Gilkison

The amount of days that I have gone to the lower wall to climb these upper pitches and had to scrap those plans because of mega huge top rope parties dominating the first 50' of Japenese gardens is staggering.

Buy one of these:

roosteralarmclock2.jpg

Buy one of these:

roosteralarmclock2.jpg

If I recall correctly, my alarm woke me up at 630am. Thanks for the advice though.

Ben

Edited by bigwallben

you know what you little tools...he's got a frickin' point...there is such thing as a courtesy...if he and partner can bust through the first whole pitch in 25 to 30 minutes to get on with a day higher up and you KNOW that you are gonna be on the thing ALL DAY with your bumbly self and first time girlfriend get the fuck out of the way...Seriously, its just courtesy...

And another thing...lead the route and pull your fucking line so other parties can have a chance...

FUCKING MANNERS PEOPLE...

Sort like driving on a narrow logging road eh Rudy?

HAHAHAHAHA!!!

HONK!