A woman's worth

archenemy

Did someone already make this calculation?

12hr days*7 days/week* 50 weeks/year = 4200 hrs/yr

$10/hr -> 42K/yr

$20/hr -> 84K/yr

Increase it to 18hr/day for an infant-4 yrs old -> 63K/yr - 125K/yr

Decrease number of hours probably after about age 13 or so.

Childcare workers get paid very little above minimum wage. You can get a babysitter for less.

Housekeepers get paid about $10/hr when working for someone else.

Gardeners can be hired from Millionaires Club for about 7/hr.

You can drop your laundry off for 0.30/lb.

Just a tad of someone realistic numbers.

I wish child care made a little more than minimim wage. Our nanny is getting rich off us.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't even read the linked article JayB. I trust you that the logic is anything but logical.

The premise behind my post is, "what would it cost you to outsource the work that gets done by the typical stay-at-home parent?" I don't see how one can argue that that is not value that is added to the enterprise.

Per the logic of this retarded study, we could be equally justified in engaging in the same-kind of fantasy calculations to calculate the monetary value of each routine task that we perform on our own behalf every day.

-Take the average hourly wage for dental hygenists and use that to figure out how much the time that you spend brushing and flossing is worth.

-Take the time you spend washing and combing your hair and multiply that by the hourly rate for barbers/stylists.

-Take the time that you spend bathing and multiply that by the hourly rate for a home-health aid, etc.

-That ingrown hair you removed? Take a look at the average cost-per-visit to the ER and add that to the tally. Ditto for the papercut, the shaving cut, etc.

You will soon find that no-matter what your level of drive, education, initiative, the relative scarcity of your skillset relative to the effective demand - your true economic worth is well into the millions.

And what about time spent foisting moronic viewpoints on the interwebs, something we've all been guilty of at one point or another?

How much does a brick make on an hourly basis?

Edited by tvashtarkatena

In my mind if you need to put a dollar amount on a stay at home mom to appreciate the hard work they do (assuming a good mom, as obviously there are bad ones) you're missing something.

You are so right!!!

As for redundancy on titles, I have this issue as well. For example, I am often referred to as bitch, slut, bastard, etc etc. I see the job description for most of these positions having considerable overlap...

Yeah but doesn't it make your resume look that much more impressive?

I can see the interview now:

"What was the difference between the bitch and slut positions you held?"

"Well, the slut position was when I was getting a lot of action and the bitch position was a reaction to a dry spell. Other duties performed as a bitch included: telling it like it is, chopping people down to size, calling bullshit, and general hater duties."

I didn't even read the linked article JayB. I trust you that the logic is anything but logical.

The premise behind my post is, "what would it cost you to outsource the work that gets done by the typical stay-at-home parent?" I don't see how one can argue that that is not value that is added to the enterprise.

If we are talking about raising children in solely economic terms, in the US and other first-world countries I think it would be hard to show that they represent anything other than a net expense - where the total dollar value of inputs they require to the age of 18 amounts to something like 2-300K or something on that order, and the dollar return that they generate for the household is next to zero - so I'd say we are talking about reducing the magnitude of the losses rather than actually creating something that generates an economic return for the household that exceeds the value of the inputs.

Who knows.

In my mind if you need to put a dollar amount on a stay at home mom to appreciate the hard work they do (assuming a good mom, as obviously there are bad ones) you're missing something.

You are so right!!!

As for redundancy on titles, I have this issue as well. For example, I am often referred to as bitch, slut, bastard, etc etc. I see the job description for most of these positions having considerable overlap...

Yeah but doesn't it make your resume look that much more impressive?

I can see the interview now:

"What was the difference between the bitch and slut positions you held?"

"Well, the slut position was when I was getting a lot of action and the bitch position was a reaction to a dry spell. Other duties performed as a bitch included: telling it like it is, chopping people down to size, calling bullshit, and general hater duties."

That settles it.

You are my favorite new poster.

If we are talking about raising children in solely economic terms, in the US and other first-world countries I think it would be hard to show that they represent anything other than a net expense - where the total dollar value of inputs they require to the age of 18 amounts to something like 2-300K or something on that order, and the dollar return that they generate for the household is next to zero - so I'd say we are talking about reducing the magnitude of the losses rather than actually creating something that generates an economic return for the household that exceeds the value of the inputs.

Who knows.

No, of course I'm not talking about the net economic value of having children. This entire conversation has been about the net economic value of a stay-at-home parent. The entire conversation is premised on the fact that kids are already present. Duh.

I really don't see how this is so hard to comprehend. People with kids do this all the time, when one spouse is contemplating going back to work. You compare how much more money it will cost to outsource the domestic duties to how much the returning-to-work spouse will be able to bring in.

The amount of money it costs to pay someone else to perform the domestic duties to your satisfaction is the true economic value of the stay at home parent.

My calculations show it can range between 42k/yr and 125 k/yr. Simple.

Who knows.

No, of course I'm not talking about the net economic value of having children. This entire conversation has been about the net economic value of a stay-at-home parent. The entire conversation is premised on the fact that kids are already present. Duh.

I really don't see how this is so hard to comprehend. People with kids do this all the time, when one spouse is contemplating going back to work. You compare how much more money it will cost to outsource the domestic duties to how much the returning-to-work spouse will be able to bring in.

The amount of money it costs to pay someone else to perform the domestic duties to your satisfaction is the true economic value of the stay at home parent.

My calculations show it can range between 42k/yr and 125 k/yr. Simple.

What do your calculations tell you about the net economic value created by an unemployable illiterate woman who stays at home with 8 children?