olyclimber

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

not according to wiki:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thujone

"Even though it is best known for being a chemical in absinthe, recent tests show absinthe contains only small quantities of thujone, and it is not responsible for absinthe's reported hallucinogenic effects. Thujone acts on the GABA receptors in the brain and does not cause hallucinations."

i'm not a huge fan of the stuff - usually really high proof too - shit like that tends to turn me into a goddamn wild animal, and not in any sorta natural or good way...

not bad if you consume it w/ carmalized sugar - take a tablespoon of sugar, pour some absinthe on it, light it up, let it burn a bit, then stir the whole mix into a shot and suck it down

5 or 6 of those in a row with the little bro and the wife'll find an excuse to go out shopping :brew:

One wonders whether absinthe in the nineteenth century took the blame for dementia from other causes, such as alcoholism and syphillis...

...and early attempts at fluoridation.

Nasty metals used in the distillation and dispensing process also may have had something to do with the ill side affects of the drink. Basically, it's just a liquor like any other.

I've had it a bunch of times, either in Russia or with some brought back from travels. Customs is big on this in the last few years, so I haven't brought any back since.

I have had Russian ("Absent" brand, dark green with cool art-deco labeling, was $40+ for a 1/5th) and the Czech stuff (bright green, or red). It does taste similar to Ouzo. I have done it with the sugar, etc. or straight shots. To be honest, it never really lived up to expectations. Sure, you get a buzz, but really nothing much "extra", at least in my experience. I do have a friend who owns a restaraunt who tried some of the real old stuff. This guy bought a collection of wine and spirits from the turn of the century that was found bricked into a wall in Philadelphia. Included was some Absinthe. After drinking 2 small glasses, he reported a major mind/body buzz, with some gentle hallucinations. He felt like the older stuff (at least the kind he sampled) likely contained added opiates.

Edited by crazy_t

I've had it as well.

I haven't had the carmelized sugar, but I have had it served with sugar set in a special little spoon thingy (which was really a beautiful silver-worked accoutrement).

I certainly can relate to the body buzz thing--wonderful. I would not hesitate to try anything with the word absinthe on it.