Sat/Sun - climbing, hiking, biking

Typical Reality:

Mon - sleep in, soccer game

Tue - run 4 miles, pull all nighter at work

Wed - try to recover from all nighter

Thu - another all-nighter

Fri - try to recover from all nighter

Sat/Sun - play with the kids, short hike

The secret to avoidign overtraining is to work at Microsoft...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like running too, and am training for my first marathon. Been doing 20-mile long runs on the weekends, but now it's time to taper off. I was snowshoeing almost every Saturday and Sunday in January and February, and stopped sometime in March so I could stick to running. I was getting back from snowshoe trips and going running. I got back to where I was resting the day before and after the long runs. Now I'm looking forward to getting the damned marathon over with, so I can get back to rollerbalding on the Burke-Gilman on these long evenings after work, and spend my weekends outdoors again. The race is just over 2 weeks away. I'll still run after the race - just not on the weekends, and I'll trade some weeknights for some evenings of zen-state rolling on the Burke.

Edited by lizard_brain

This week:

Monday: Lactate Threshold intervals

Tuesday: easy aerobic run (60 min), rock gym

Wednesday: easy aerobic elliptical, rock gym

Thursday: Lactate Threshold- tempo training

Friday: easy 30 minute elliptical, easy swimming

Saturday: rest

Sunday: alpine climb (hopefully...or taking the gear for a walk)

Check out the european olympic running teams and their training. In the past they have been the only teams that didn't overtrain. And they won.

Overtraining is what killed my college cross/track career. It used to be all negative splits, 70 mile weeks, lots of intervals, etc. 6-7 days/week of hard workouts and races from 800m to 10 miles, but now I can barely get motivated to train at all.

now:

monday-tuesday: 2-3 PBRs/night

Wednesday: micro night

thurs: 2 Deschutes

Fri: drive to trailhead or crag. 1-3 tall boys.

sat-sun: SEND!

* I do walk a couple miles each day to/from work, uphill both ways (it is possible), but the best training for climbing is climbing, oh and doing lots of (liquid) carbo loading.

Good plan.

Check out the european olympic running teams and their training. In the past they have been the only teams that didn't overtrain. And they won.

How far in the past? pre-70s? :lmao:

Outside of coe and ovett in the late 80s and early 90s, both of whom were 800 runners, europe hasn't produced any solid distance talent. The africans have dominated, but thats all irrelevant. I personally find it hard to directly compare world class training to my own.

When I get up to 70 mpw I'll usually have around 3 morning runs of 4 miles each. One long run of 12-14 miles and I always take one day off. This usually leaves around ~44 miles between 5 days and 9 miles/day isn't bad. Do a couple 10 milers and recovery runs. Plus, for those who don't know, HAVING RUNNING PARTNERS MAKES RUNNING EASIER! Also, have a goal keeps the motivation up.

Sorry for the rambling.

Uh? What? Would that be the new european country of Morocco? Or Kenya? Or the USA or even Canada? Or East Germany? Or Spanish runners? Or Austrian biathalon team?

With steroids, you can overtrain and rest at the same time. Frankly, I couldn't care less about olympic athletes.

Been there, don't have the needle marks, don't need to go back.

I WAS NOT saying go use roids man....... don't know how you got there.....

I was mainly refering to older teams, like back in the 70's. I had a good chat with someone I know who used to work with the US running team, and they were trying to figure out why they wern't doing better despite their 100 mile a week training regimen. Then they went to europe and looked at training over there. Teams all over europe were running no more than 30 miles a week, but they were running at a much higher intenstiy.

I'll bite:

Mon: Swim 4,000 yrds, run 8 miles, climb in the gym

Tues: Lift weights 75 min, bike 40 miles

Wed: Swim 4,000 yrds, run 8 miles, climb in the gym

Thur: Swim 4,000 yrds, bike 40 miles

Fri: Lift weights 75 min, run 8 miles

Sat: Swim 4,000 yrds, 3 hour trail run on Tiger Mt

Sun: Bike 60 miles, easy 90 min run up and down Mt Si

Rest: What for?

Sounds like you never get into the mountains except for your Tiger run.

My schedule:

All Days: stretch and crunches 30min in morning

Mon: boulder 2-3 hours, short run 30min max

Tue: rest

Wed: morning road ride or night ride MTB ~2hours

Thu: boulder 2-3 hours, short run 30min max

Fri: rest

Sat: MTB ride 3-6 hours, will boulder if I do shorter ride or climb outside on the real stuff if not biking

Sun: MTB ride 3-6 hours, will boulder if I do shorter ride or climb outside on the real stuff if not biking

I will probably start throwing in some more short run (I hate running) just so that I drop some more weight.