Koreans on Ice

Alpinfox

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny Pics! It has been my experience to steer clear of Korean, Austrailian, and Irish climbers. Many haven't a clue and are dangerous to those around them.

As for the sweet pic with the falls, how did the water get to that notch? It looks farmed? Anyone agree? It ain't a natural watercourse but it looks like a sweet route!

As for the sweet pic with the falls, how did the water get to that notch? It looks farmed? Anyone agree? It ain't a natural watercourse but it looks like a sweet route!

Yosemite Falls has always seemed an unlikely watercourse to me. Or at least unlikely for SO MUCH water:

Yosemite_Falls_Mdo.jpg

Wider_view_Yosemite_Falls.gif

I agree Jens, it looks like the water must have flowed uphill crested the pass, and came over this side. sometimes perspectives can be tricky though...

5444045e3a5092e.jpg

Edited by Blake

Funny Pics! It has been my experience to steer clear of Korean, Austrailian, and Irish climbers. They all haven't a clue, suck at climbing, and are dangerous to those around them.

Mike King enlisted Syudla and I to help dissuade a party of 2-3 dozen Korean gumbies from attempting "a new route on Waddington". It worked, they were convinced, amazingly, to not try it and Mike flew them in to a different area.

Still, when Mike was flying us back out, he informed us they had to medi-vac one of the party out with a severely broken femur. The leader of the Korean party had waited, inexplicably, a long time before radioing for help, like 36 hours, until internal blood loss rendered the injured party unconscious and vitals dropped to dangerous levels.

Dear Jens and Dechristo,

I sympathize with your sentiments that not every ice climber can approach the sport with the same je ne sais quoi, savvy, or style that comes naturally to the mid-to-upper-middle class white folks that normally participate in the sport. Bolted cracks and large climbing parties aside,however, I have to wonder out loud: did you miss the class(es)in school where you were taught not to lump entire ethnicities into a category of clueless gumbies with poor judgment? Too busy sending? It seems as if theconclusions you can draw from your experiences are that a) large climbing parties suck and b) anyone who waits an excessively long time to call in an accident is not a good leader. I somehow doubt that either of those two factors are necessarily related to being Korean (or Australian, or Irish…). At either rate, as a city-born, Korean, ice climber (gasp! the deadly trifecta), I hope the next time I am out there swinging my picks, cluelessly and dangerously, that no one tries to dissuade me from climbing a route or questions my judgment based on how I look… oops, that's already happened! Well anyhow just had to pick up the phone and call you out; leave the

stereotyping to Dave Chappelle, he is a lot funnier! And konichiwa, bitches!

levitygravity,

You may notice the title of this thread refers to Koreans. It could be about any nationality. I am unaware of any advantage in ice climbing due to nationality, ethnicity, or genetics. You may notice some funny photos of Korean newbies (gumbies). If you search this site, you will find a huge proportion of photos, criticism, and poking-of-fun directed at gumby "mid-to-upper-middle class white folks".

In my post, you may notice my reference to "Korean" as being applicable to this thread and my qualification of "gumby" denoting skill/experience. In my post, I did not elaborate to include the justification that my judgment of their skill and/or experience was based on age and behavior - the poor judgment of their leader was mentioned based on the size of the group and the stated objective. Again, they were Korean, they were about to be flown in to engage in alpine/water ice, making it applicable to this thread.

I hope the next time I am out there swinging my picks, cluelessly and dangerously, that no one tries to dissuade me from climbing a route or questions my judgment based on how I look...
No worries. It appears, though the best of intentions (concerns for safety) may be in play by the attempted "dissuader", as was my case, you will attribute the worst...oops, again.

Pity about your sensitivity to being of East Asian descent...

...you oughta see what it's like being a real ugly mofo, as I am.

• 2 weeks later...