is PB really that important?

NTM

I used to talk smack about "allergies" back when everyone was suddenly "allergic" to dairy. It seemed like such a fad.

Just to prove that God has a sense of humor, I now have allergies. I have the regular boring ones that come with springtime as well as two which are severe enough to put me into anaphlaxis. It is a frightening experience, I can tell you that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's easy to talk smack about banning PB at schools and snacks at Little League until you remember what kids are like and you know that someone's precious little Bratleigh will decide to find out what really happens to little Tommy when you put PB on him.

Peanut butter on pancakes or on vanilla ice cream... Yummers. :chebit:

i totally agree. open face toasted peanut butter and hunny and banana sandwiches. I like a little bit of granola smushed on top mmmmmmmmmmmmmm YUMMY

I think I'm in love.

will i go to jail if i send peanut butter through the mail?

I dunno. I guess it would be the same as mailing any banned substance. I would hope that they would be a bit more lenient than if you were mailing, say, cocaine.

Watch out for the PB sniffing :pagetop: at the border

Supposedly dirt is the solution to allergies. Do your kids a favor and send them outside to make mud pies so they can eat peanut butter when they are in little league.

there is actually a little something too that. i think any way. if you think about it thats what immune therapy is all about, getting your body used to allergens in small controllable doses. there is IMHO such a thing as TOO CLEAN.

Supposedly dirt is the solution to allergies. Do your kids a favor and send them outside to make mud pies so they can eat peanut butter when they are in little league.

there is actually a little something too that. i think any way. if you think about it thats what immune therapy is all about, getting your body used to allergens in small controllable doses. there is IMHO such a thing as TOO CLEAN.

This is a common misconception. Allergies are caused only after being exposed to the allergen at least once. Your system responds to that allergen inappropriately--overcompensating if you will. The number of times you have been previously exposed to the allergen has no bearing on why or when you may begin to over-react one time. A good example is the allergy to bee stings. Playing in the dirt (a good way to expose yourself to molds, bacteria, etc) will not cross over to your exposure to bee sting juice. Cleanliness just is not linked to allergies like this.

true, you won't reduce your bee sting allergy by playing in the dirt, but at a younger age, your body will be building correct responses to things like pollen and mold, reducing reactions to those types of allergens.

Untrue, unfortunately.

I grew up with plenty of exposure to the great outdoors (read: agricultural work in the summers, etc) and I developed allergies to different plants just two years ago. Your body doesn't build correct responses--you are born with that ability (usually). It is later when something goes wiggy woggy (no one knows why--at least not a why that they can explain to the layperson) it goes haywire.