two-person sleeping bag?

Colin

Have any of you ever considered or used a two person sleeping bag? I'm not talking about some system of zipping two bags together so that a couple can get cozy. I am instead thinking of an especially wide bag that one would share with his/her climbing partner. I'd imagine that it might appeal to those truly dedicated to going fast and light. Not only would it conserve body heat, but it would save the weight of a zipper and two sleeping bag sides. Although I am not particularly appealed to sleeping with my climbing partner, if a team is going fast and light then they will be wearing all of their clothing while sleeping anyways.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i've done the one sleeping bag, one bivi sack thing. as far as weight goes it rocks, as far as comfort or actually getting any sleep it sucks. i would imagine that any type of bag system that you would share with your bro would have similar discomforts. plus now one is stuck with carrying a huge sleeping bag. one bag, one bivi would be lighter and not weigh you do as much, so as to slow your pace and force a bivi.

but as you mentioned a double is nice with the ladies cool.gif

collin If you're not homophobic 2 in 1 bag works great. I use a 2 lb. down/g-tex bag with a zip in bottom. I've cut a small pad the same shape as the open bag. In poor weather I use a light tarp. This system has had me toasty down around 20dg. Besides being light, after spending the night that close to my partner we have nooo problem getting moving in the morning. grin.gif Of course if your climbing partner is female, you may find yourself making fewer summits.:} As far as comfort, you can't do much about someone who rolls around in their sleep but after bivying on enough rocks you learn to sleep in just about any position.

LIGHT IS RIGHT Good Climbing S H

[This message has been edited by snafflehound (edited 05-04-2001).]

Well, hell, if ED VEISTURS rolleyes.gif does it it MUST be OK. After all EDDIE was in VERTICAL LAME-IT rolleyes.gif and he played HIMSELF!!!! rolleyes.gif None of that STUNT DOUBLE stuff for THE MAN!!! tongue.gifgrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 05-04-2001).]

I have seen a new product (one brand is called the "sweetie pie") that is a wedge shaped insert that zips into the zippers of a single mummy bag to widen it for two people. The insert weighs much less than a second bag. This probably works great. When you zip two single bags together you end up with a huge bag, with enough room for three people. Most light single bags will not zip closed with two normal sized people in them.

There are some cool ultralight bags now out to check if you want a compromise. I just got a 30 dg down sierra designs; no zip, 1.5lb, elastic eliminates cold spots, packs the size of a soft ball. Combine this with one bivy and your set (my integral designs bivy can easily fit 2, but I cant speak for all of them).

BTW marmot is also doing some cool 1/2 zip ultralight bags of comparable weight, but they cant do the elastic thing due to patents.