Looking for Daypack Recommendations

iluka

Hey...

I'm in the market for a new daypack. Need it for BC skiing and scrambles. Need to be able to carry skis, axe, helmet, shovel and crampons on trips. I've checked out the BD Revelation, the Osprey Switch and the Millet Peuterey. I'd be curious to hear thoughts on those or others.

Thanks!

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO NOT GET THE Osprey Switch!!!!

I had that pack for a year and found it to be one of the most useless packs for anything other than snowboarding.

I sold my switch 45 on eBay in December and got a Lowe Alpine Snow Attack 50. At 50 liters it is a little big, but it compresses well down to daypack size and will carry everything you mentioned above...

see below.

Compared to the $189 price tag of the Switch, the Snow Attack cost me around $99.

4-14.jpg

12-8.jpg

My useless Switch 45 that I got rid of(purely for snowboarding)

8-9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I take back my earlier enthusiasm for the BD Shadow... even with the good price. Doesn't feel very comfortable when loaded. The various compression straps (particularly for the pack's top pouch) don't stay snug and come loose quite easily. The fact that it's tapered and gets wider as it goes up also leaves me suspicious that the center of gravity won't be great and will make skiing more difficult.

Back it goes (if they'll take it) and I ordered myself an MEC Alpinelite 45

Be carefull thinking you can take any advice here and it will answer your quest for the ideal day pack. The features that are most important vary from person to person and the comfort of carrying said pack will vary according to your body shape and the way you pack the thing.

For a light-weight sack that you will carry to camp or to the base of a climb and then pull out of a larger approach pack, there are a number of packs that are little more than a stuff sack with straps on them (some have a slot in the back for a square piece of blue foam). This is a great way to go for many moderate peak climbs or alpine and subalpine rock routes. You asked about carrying skis and an axe and crampons, so you are looking for something bigger than a "klettersac" but don't overlook this option for most of the "alpine light" climbs around here and for many of the ski tours as well.

I have always looked at features and overall pack weight when purchasing a day pack but at the end of the day it has just turned out that some packs were more comfortable than others after I started using them, or I found the zippers on one to be inconvenient... or something. You'll need to actually try a few packs before you find what you like.

Features I like include a top lid that extends, and for skiing I like a zipper access to the bottom of the bag for pulling out a down sweater at rest stops even though most smallish day-pack sized bags do not have this. I prefer two straps on the back to hold the top lid as opposed to one because I very often tuck a pair of snowshoes or a rope or something under the top lid and these two straps may be enough to hold it without additional attachment whereas one almost never is.

I like to have a pair of daisy chains up the back and don't care about special attachments for a shovel or crampons or even the ice axe loops that all packs have on them (most people find the ice axe attachments or even tool tubes essential). If there are two parallel daisy's and generous side compression straps you will have no problem attaching any tools or toys you want, and I prefer not to have extra loops and thingy's back there when I'm not using them. (Note: virtually none of the available packs have long enough side compression straps for my taste. The manufacturers cut them short to minimize grams and so the salespeople can display a pack that doesn't look as if it has things dangling from it, but the result is you cannot strap your ridgerest pad or other bulky items on the side of the pack.)

If the waist belt is one of those bulky padded affairs, I like having the option to completely remove it when I may want to haul the thing up a chimney or maybe replace it with a less bulky piece webbing or something for rock climbing. The stiffened padded waist belt is often in the way of gear loops while climbing or when switching off the pack or hanging it at belay ledges.

If you climb for very long and do a variety of climbing from ski mountaineering to alpine rock climbing, you are going to end up wanting more than one day pack.

seriously, i haven't put shovel or skis on it, but for ice tools and crampons and a day's worth of stuff, the little 50 dollar MEC alpinelite 30 is really great.

I have an extra one of these for sale if anyone wants it. Brand new. PM me for more info.

Cilogear indeed. Their 40L and 45L packs compress well, come with a lightweight crampon pouch (that also can conveniently hold a thermos or nalgene securely), strip down (removeable lid/hip belt), and have an extendable draft collar up top. Plus they are very durable and lightweight. The only caveat is that you should spend some time getting to know your pack when you first get it to figure out what strap configuration works best for you (all straps are removeable).

Graham's customer service is also top notch.

Finally, buying a pack from a guy who is a dedicated climber and runs his own business carries with it some 'warm glow' factor associated with supporting other enthusiasts.

from playing with it, Gimmick. it can't be compressed since the fabric and roll top prevent air from being squeezed out of it. a decent option for trips where you need to compress a large sleeping bag and have a light summit pack (maybe Denali?).

second the comments about Cilogear. their packs are sweet. You might also look into the Arcteryx ski packs, which were basically a climbing pack before (Khamsin, etc). Spendy, but pretty nice.