Cats in the hospital

carolyn

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

haha! Thanks for the reassurance of a loving owner!

Ya, CBS - I have heard about the recall. I fed latte the juice often from one of the brands on the list after the initial kidney failure. I have no doubts the original cause was from the medication. the food could have aggravated it. But who knows? She obviously isnt getting that food now. A lot of people are not feeding wet food at all. Sadly, I have to choose between wet food or starvation for her. On the positive side, she isnt attached to any of the foods on the recall list. She is a friskies fan, all the way! :)

We are at almost 2 weeks since I was last told she should be put to sleep. She has been eating a can of food/day all week, playing, demanding attention, and hunting mice. Im also finding a lot of her 'odd' quarks returning (ie. she LOVES to roll around in my shirts after I take them off. The sweat smell must turn her on. Maybe its the friskies! ). Honestly, I havent seen her looking/acting this normal for a couple months.

Being the optimist, Im taking her in for bloodwork next wed. Curious to see what the results will be.

Hope everyone elses cats are doing well.

On a sidenote...after all of this with her and the recall, I would definately reconsider how I feed cats in the future (if I choose to get another). Just looking at the ingredients in the treats she likes, the first one is ANIMAL DIGEST. What the hell is that?!?!?!? Grossss! At this point I just figure let her enjoy what she can while she can.

Honestly, I havent seen her looking/acting this normal for a couple months.

GLAD to hear, Carolyn!

Friskies is our cats' food of choice as well: we pull it out generally just for special occasions as both our older cats are on "special" diets.

Cheers! :brew::moondance:

On a sidenote...after all of this with her and the recall, I would definately reconsider how I feed cats in the future (if I choose to get another). Just looking at the ingredients in the treats she likes, the first one is ANIMAL DIGEST. What the hell is that?!?!?!? Grossss! At this point I just figure let her enjoy what she can while she can.

re the ANIMAL DIGEST (yeah, ewww! :sick:), the way I understand it is carnivores benefit from consuming veggies that have been partially digested by their prey(ie--the contents of a deer's intestines) because they lack the enzymes needed to break down veggies consumed directly by themselves.

For example, if you feed a dog a raw carrot, a chewed up raw carrot comes out the other end. Their short, meat-eating tailored digestive systems can't process the veg. At the other end of the spectrum, cows, who eat only veggies(grass), have not one, but four stomachs. Looooong digestive process converts veggies to...well, you know.

I'm no expert in the field but had to do a little research when I switched our three dogs to a homecooked diet. Nothing says love like sound and smell of pureed liver in the blender. :brew:

But, like you, we do what we can to keep them happy and healthy for as long as it is in our hands to do so.

Best wishes.

Remember also that undigested food may not be a problem. For example, we can't digest cellulose. But we need it for fiber. So something like a carrot not getting too digested within a dog's tract is not necessarily a bad thing.

True, and good point. When had to put one of our dogs on a diet a while back, the main ingredient was pumpkin. Gave her bulk and fiber, without the calories.

Of course, the whole scheme eventually backfired on us. Come Thanksgiving, we found her in the kitchen gnoshing on the pumpkin pie she had snatched from the unguarded countertop. Little stinker probably thought to herself, "Smells like pumpkin, must be MINE. Score!"

:moondance:

...had to do a little research when I switched our three dogs to a homecooked diet.

my pets thrive on home-cooked diet.

Glad to hear it. :tup:It's a lot of work(for three large dogs, at least), but it makes a difference, doesn't it?

It always seems a little incongruous to see about 20lbs of ground chicken and liver go through the checkout line alongside my tempeh and Morningstar soyburgers. The cashiers give me strange looks. :noway:

Good for you guys taking such good care of your furbabies.

I tried a home-cooked diet for my three cats. It was more of an effort than I thought it would be especially since I was trying to make my own organic baby food around the same time, but I figured they were worth it. The kitties took a few bites then waited for their store-bought food. I tried over and over again. Not even a nibble. I was so bummed.

RE: the cat food recall... a high profile attorney has taken on a case in Illinois and is going for a Class Action lawsuit. If you've been effected or think you may have been, it could be worth spending a few minutes on google checking out what's happening.

Nobody can say you didn't try, so give yourself credit where it's due. :tup:

Our dogs took a little coaxing to make the switch--like trying to convince a child that a baked potato is going to be better than an order of McDonald's french fries--but cats can be way snobbier than dogs so you had your work cut out for you.

Cat food is stinkier, too, so I'm glad I wasn't in your kitchen during that experiment. :sick:

Latte has had a great couple weeks since I last took her in and expected to have to put her down within a few days.

Yesterday she had some bloodwork done. The levels they measure for kidney functioning came back near normal!!!!! Just when we thought the only way she could continue living was on constant IV, she does a complete turn-around!!!!! Her kidney failure was an allergic-like reaction to the meds. The medication company has said this happens on occassion. What a miracle!

Ive definately learned a lot through this experience and really appreciate her desire to stick around to stalk mice, chirp at the squirrels, and take up over half my bed at night. :tup:

W00T! :moondance: