Cats in the hospital

carolyn

My cat hasnt eaten since I got home Tuesday night.

I brought her in this morning, thinking she was constipated and they would give her an enima. Sadly, she is having some kidney problems. This could have been caused by the pain medication we started giving her. They are keeping her for the weekend w/an iv in hopes it will flush things out and she will start eating again. If not, then they reccomend euthanasia.

This sucks more than I can say.

I dont have enough information to agree or disagree with the vets recommendations yet.

Either way, Im going to head back over to the hospital and sit with her till they close. Go back in the morning and sit with her till they close.....go back...

Just thought I would update ya all on her condition. :(

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I took my cat home this evening. Her blood tests, though not at a normal level, made a drastic improvement overnight. Her eyes look much brighter, and she has eaten a couple tsp of babyfood, a tsp of cottage cheese, and sat at her foodbowl at home for almost 5min once we got there. I dont think she made a huge dent in it, but its a start. She did play a bit with a string and paced up and down the hall at home. Mostly, she is just laying around.

I have to give her iv fluids at home tomorrow. This is gonna suck sticking a needle in her. Yick! I suppose the alternative of leaving her until monday morning might have been worse. Poor thing, has this huge lump on her side where the water sits as it slowly goes through her body. Its gone from her leg, to her side, and is now working its way toward her back. Its like some alien is moving around inside of her! It looks soooo icky and awkward.

Its still hard to say which direction she will go. I guess I just need to hope for the best and prepare for the worst.

Thanks for all the good wishes!

I will keep ya posted.

well,we have backtracked. I must be crazy for agreeing to this, but we are going to do 48hrs of IV fluids at the kitty hospital. If this doesnt help or if she goes backwards once at home again,then I will have to do what I dont want to do.

Latte and I are just gonna hang out together for the rest of the day. She's sitting in her little bed next to me on the floor. Thankfully I can get wireless in here.

Thanks for the positive thoughts - please keep 'em coming!

My cat came home yesterday, with no improvement on the iv fluids on the final day. The vet said it will be good for her to have a day or two at home. HUH?!?!?! He said would do a house call to put her asleep and that he would be available friday or saturday!

I understand if she is not responding to iv fluids that she has gotten as well as she can and she is very close to the end. I just have a hard time believing that today or tomorrow is the day she will be ready to go.

This quality of life thing is really nagging at me. As well as the making sure my thoughts around it are best for HER and not ME.

She slept most of yesterday with me, once we got home. When I had to leave, she hung out with my roommate. She hasnt eaten much, but showed some interest this morning for sure (and even in the middle of the night). She wants to hang out where ever I am. She is still enjoying laying on my bed watching the birds out the window. She has never enjoyed being petted as much as she is right now. Ive even watched her give herself full 'baths' a couple times in the past 24hrs.

though she is not her 'typical' self and obviously not feeling great, I cant believe her quality is so piss poor that I should end her life right now....maybe tomorrow or later today will be different...maybe Monday...maybe a week or two from now.

This sucks!

I am glad I spent all the time with her that I did at the vet. And I will spend every moment I can with her until the end.

And yes, Decristo - we are talking about a CAT. This little one has hung with me through thick and thin for almost half my life. I also believe that compassion toward any living thing is extremely important both for the giver and receiver. Sometimes I wish I could just see her as being disposable. Sure would make this easier. Just not my style, though.

Thanks again everyone for the positive thoughts and reminding me that lots of people go through the same thing.

C,

Hoping for the best for Latte and you. We had one cat--Nipper--with Feline CRF (Chronic Renal Failure) who lived at least an additional 5 years with it, finally passing away at the ripe age of 17. Am wondering right now if early CRF is a problem for our Katy, who came to us as a stray and we think is about 10 years old.

Since Sobo's post, you've probably already looked it up, but googling up "crf feline cat" yields a plethora of results.

Bless you both,

Steve

I guess latte didnt agree with the vets idea of putting her down this weekend!

After a long talk with sobo and other friends, along with some research online I feel a bit more hopeful regarding her length of stay in this world. I definately know today was NOT the day to put her down. I hope tomorrow can be just as good,if not better. Its a matter of taking it day by day and treating her as if she is alive(which she is) and not already dead (like the vets seem to view it).

I guess the vets thought she would go down quickly in a matter of days. So far,she seems to be doing the opposite. Ive been spoon feeding her for over a week now. Today was the first time she ate completely out of her bowl (with some reminders). I asked for an appetite stimulant. Im not sure how much of that I am actually getting in her. She is not very cooperative in that regards. She can smell it no matter what I mix it with or how I administer it. Anyway, she ate a normal amount for the average cat today, plus all the extra dog food she sneaks. :o

She was also somewhat playful, followed me around the house, hung out by the window interested in the birds, groomed herself regularly, and swatted at the dog often. Pretty much cat things. We did have our tough moments for sure. Overall she has made a dramatic change for the good in the past few days.

I know she is not going to get better. With a positive attitude and being a little proactive we may be able to extend her quality of life a bit longer. Whether that be days, weeks, months, or years...Who knows?

Definately a great reminder of the importance of living in the moment.

Thanks again Sobo! Your story, resources, and encouragement were definately key to my attitude and view of the situation - hopeful rather than hopeless.

Due to some popular requests, here are some photos of Latte.

latte-resize-5.jpg

hangin' out

latte-resize-7.jpg

viscous kitty at play!

latteresize-10.jpg

k, can we stop this shit now?

latte-resize-2.jpg

Here's what I think of all these pictures!

lattesick2.jpg

not feeling very well. She eventually peed on that coat after.

lattestillsick1.jpg

Pretty much the position we have spent the last week in.