Pitbulls

Seahawks

Had one attack my dog, Wife and kids on trail. If I had had a gun I would have shot it.

Man wins fight with vicious pit bull

CONROE, Texas (AP) -- A 65-year-old retired truck driver who was attacked by a vicious pit bulldog during a neighborhood walk choked the dog to death as he defended himself.

Von Pardue suffered bites on his arms and hands during the Wednesday attack, which occurred shortly after Pardue began his routine morning walk. Pardue was treated at a local hospital, and the dog's owners could face misdemeanor charges, police said.

Pardue said he heard barking and readied himself when he realized the dog was coming for him.

"I turned to face him, and when I saw it was pit bull, I knew I was in trouble," Pardue said. "I put my hands up and I hollered at him. He immediately jumped to my throat."

Pardue shielded his body by grabbing the dog's head and ears, but the dog shook loose and started biting his right hand. Pardue kneed the dog in the ribs, spurring it to let go of his hand, and then grabbed the dog by its thick collar.

Pardue said he then dragged the dog to his house while maintaining a firm grip on its neck. His wife called police from the house. When the police arrived, Pardue was on the ground with the dog and still holding onto the collar.

Police said Pardue's grip was so tight that he strangled the dog. Pardue said he didn't know the dog was dead until it was unresponsive when police tried to move it.

Emergency medics washed Pardue's bites and he received a tetanus shot and an antibiotic at the hospital, he said.

"If not for the collar, I don't know how I would have ever been able to wrestle him down," said Pardue, who weighs 200 pounds. "The dog was about 80 pounds and very vicious. It was hard to believe the viciousness in which he attacked me, but I was able to contain him."

Sgt. Mike Tindall, a Conroe police spokesman, said the dog's owners hadn't been charged Wednesday, but they could face misdemeanor charges for having a dog at large or for having a dangerous dog.

Tindall said the male dog was picked up by animal control officers in December for running at large. It was given a rabies vaccination and released back to the owner, he said.

The City Council in Conroe, which is located 40 miles north of Houston, is set to vote next week on a proposed dangerous dog ordinance that would require such dogs to be kept in a secure enclosure. The law might have prevented Wednesday's attack, Tindall said.

Edited by Seahawks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate stuff like this:

City Council in Conroe, which is located 40 miles north of Houston, is set to vote next week on a proposed dangerous dog ordinance that would require such dogs to be kept in a secure enclosure. The law might have prevented Wednesday's attack, Tindall said.

Bullfuckingshit. THE LAW doesn't prevent anything. If the owners were smart enough to cage their dog or better yet, not own one they were obviously unable to raise and control; then the attack might have been prevented.

It's a new breed, the "Dangerous Pitbull". Much sought after, like the "Chocolate Lab", the "Dangerous Pitbull" has gained popularity as a boutique breed.

Isn't it Denver where they actually have enacted an ordinance AGAINST Pitbulls?

I plan to get one just to prove to the world that the "Dangerous Pitbull" can be lovable and friendly.

I used to breed pits and have a fair amount of experience with them.

There are a number of places that have enacted ordinances against pits, and with good reason. There are also a number of homeowners' insurance policies that specifically exclude pits from coverage.

That said, of the pits I have owned and bred, one pit in particular had a lovable and friendly personality for her whole life. But, it is a crapshoot and it cannot be denied that pits are fighting dogs. They always have been, they always will be.

I am a dog lover, obviously, and it saddens me to see this breed owned and misused by so many people who don't know what is required to raise and care for a dog with as much destructive power and aggressive tendancy as this beautiful animal.

Edited by archenemy

Anyone else here been attacked by a dog?

I've only been attacked once, while I was on my bike riding home from work just as it was getting dark. Nothing too dramatic, I just happened to ride within about 40 feet of an unleashed dog and it's owners, and then I heard the barking getting closer. At first I wasn't sure if it just wanted to play chase, but after it made the first lunge for my leg I knew it was kujo-time. Since there was no chance of out-riding the thing at this point, I didn't have much of a choice but to unlock the cleats and start kicking, and it must have taken 5 or 10 solid shots to the grill before the thing backed-off. "Blam! - bark - pedal-pedal-pedal, Blam! - bark - pedal, pedal, pedal..." over and over again. Quite an experience - nothing makes the limbic system kick in and take you back a few evolutionary epochs like being on the wrong side of the predator-prey relationship.

There have always been dogs in my family, and I consider myself a dog lover, but if your are attacked by an uncontrolled dog IMO you should feel free to inflict whatever level of violence is necessary to end the attack, using whatever means you have at your disposal.

I can't believe jayb you endorse such a level of violence. but that's another subject....

doesn't it seem that certain breeds should be allowed to die out? i think more of german shepherds, where selective breeding has deteriorated them so badly that every older one i see can barely drag its ass along the ground. how fucked up is that? we KNOW this fate awaits them, yet we continue breeding them.

the pitbull would be another breed to consider for this fate, methinks.

When our family was attacked We were out walking the trail with the 2 year old when we passed a house. Had our lab on a leash and out flew a young pit. I yanked the collar of the lab so that the pit missed his neck. I kept yanking his collar everytime the pit came in for the kill. In the meantime I was yelling at my wife to get the hell out of there with the kid.

The lady comes running out of her house and proceeds to tell me how nice the dog is, as its attacking us. I start yelling at her to get her dog under control, which she can not. I thought forsure I was going to have to kill it with my feet or hands or something. Finally I was able to get down the trail and proceeded to call animal control. Animal control came and the Lady agreed to have the dog taken away.

Hated to see her loose her dog but my wife walks that trail alot by herself with the kids and no way was it getting the kids. I would went back and shot the thing myself.

Scary. Seems to me that the pit-bull is an especially malignant and dangerous breed that the world could easily do without. Not that such a thing will ever happen, but it wouldn't bother me a bit if all of the pit-bulls in the world magically disappeared.

It's a breed that can be safe but too often irresponsible people gravite towards it. It's a shame.

Don't know about that. The lady that owned this dog was very nice and the dog was young pit. I don't think she had taught it to be mean. Also recall ready an article couple years ago about a Pit in Tacoma that was a family dog and mom left 2 year old with it for just a second to fold some laundry. Came back and baby was dead.

I wouldn't trust them no matter who owned one. The sometimes just flip.

Next door neighbor had a pit. I had two dogs at the time (an aged golden who has since passed, and a red heeler). Our dogs would just go nuts at each other through the fence growling, barking and snarling. One day shortly after this all started, I look out my window to see the Pit mantling over the top of the 5ft tall chain link fence. I thought "oh no!" and ran outside with a handgun. The pit dropped to the ground on my side of the fence and all the pooches started playing together.

Seems the fence separating them was getting them aggro.

The pit would climb the fence all the time to hang out with my dogs. Never any problems.

"It's a breed that can be safe but too often irresponsible people gravite towards it. It's a shame."

True - it's not clear to me whether things would be different if the owner population were more responsible and took the time necessary to train and socialize their pets properly. Having said that, it seems as though some of the traits that make the dogs more likely to behave in aggressive and territorial fashion were deliberately bred into them, so it's hard to believe that they'd behave in the hands of the average dog-owner, as the average dog-owner seems to lack the ability to train a dog to consistently sit on command, much less raise and maintain a pit-bull in a manner that will minimize the potential for attacks.

It's still not clear to me why the average person would want to own this kind of a dog. Most of the people who own aggressive dogs tend to be men with a low socio-economic status who seem to gravitate towards them as a means of compensating for the humble station that they've come to occupy.

Irresponsible owners suck.

Two of the nicest dogs I have ever known where a pit and doberman. Sweet as can be. Though the pit wasn't allowed in the house since it smelled like ass. It had never had a bath, and decided it was never going to. It liked being sprayed down with the hose on occasion though. Used to wrestle with the doberman all the time.

Pits' are just such powerful dogs that you can't afford to have them at all ill behaved or they become a danger. Only dog that I've ever been bitten by was my own miniature schnauser growing up though.