calories

erik

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe my butter snack sounds like a lot of bull, it's a great thing to bring in the winter/AK/Antartic- Will Steger rationed out 1 stick per person per day, I've dropped it to 1/2 stick /pp/pday, drop it in the morning glop, nibble on it, spread it on beef jerky, toss it in the PM glop, I think it'd be stupid to do major endurance climbs w/o a lot of calories, winter you'll burn 4-5,000 calories a day and that's a lot of food! Sign me up for some vodka shots and lard chasers with the Ruskkies!!

giant-size snickers = 560 calories, but messy when it's warm

bicycling mag did a comparison of nutrition/snack bars a few years back and determined that whole-wheat fig-bars gave comparable nutrition for a fraction of the cost

I have an absurdly rapid metabolism, so when I'm tryin' to shave weight for a light/fast trip, I'll carry a body-builder's weight-gain powder instead of hot chocolate - depending on the brand you can get up to 2000 calories per "serving" (note the quotes).

I'm not buying that 500-700 calories a day thing. Most anorexic and or bulimic chicks probably accidentally swallow that many calories in a day. When you're climbing, your body needs fuel, and lots of it. Sure, you got fat stores that will last you for weeks or months, but a starvation diet isn't going to be optimal for demanding physical activity. I hung out w/ a bunch of bodybuilders in college and those dudes probably slammed down 5000+ cals/day, and they don't burn nearly as much energy in 1 or 2 hours in the gym as a climber will slogging thru snow all day. I can always appreciate a good Snickers or Baby Ruth, but they're a bitch to chew when temps get near freezing.

You boys have got it all wrong. When you're backstepping up some steep pocket pull, you want to have lost every superfluous ounce on your body. It's all about going light, so my diet consists of nothing but rice cakes and nonfat powdered milk. When I've been extra good about eating light and faithful to my fitness program, I always reward myself with roasted cucumber seeds (no oil for this knee dropper). At a social function, say at my partner's (that's climbing partner buddy!) house-warming party, I'll go for broke and throw extra celery sticks in my salad!

Other tips for shaving ounces, prior to the big pink point effort: limit yourself two only five diamond studs per ear and only two nose rings. Also, go ahead and paint your toe nails, but compensate by losing the speedos under your lycra. Finally, and I got this idea from Chrisian G., spend an hour in the tub SHAVING EVERYTHING YOU CAN REACH!

cheap food: phone order a couple funky pizzas (jalapenos and anchovies --which is actually quite good) from the local place to be picked up near closing time; They'll often be conveniently placed on top of the dumpster out back after closing. And there's the old standbys of ramen and canned tuna.

If you're after convenience, energy snacks are the ticket though not cheap. However, most produce blood-sugar spikes --not sustained elevation of blood sugar (Powerbar is particularly notorious for this). And then there's the taste factor. In a couple months, my company will debut spicy and savory energy snacks made from whole-food ingredients (i.e. minimally processed). Recipes include Spicy Thai Peanut (like Thai peanut sauce), Chile and Lime, and Sesame Teriyaki. Check out www.energybite.com in the coming weeks. I know this borders near, or over, spam, but a question was asked.

best regards,

Will McCarthy

[This message has been edited by freeclimb9 (edited 06-14-2001).]

will,

we at cascadeclimbers.com will let the advertisment to slide for free samples of your new product. drul and i can whip up an appetite quite easily, so feel free to let me know!

and i thought spam was neither natural nor anything close to being actually considered food!

Outside magazine had an article on sports bars a while ago. Their conclusion was that Power Bars have the best mix of the various nutrients (fat, carbs, protein, etc) that active folks need, and most of the competitors (Cliff bars, Luna bars, etc) while they taste better, aren't nutritionally optimized.

Of course, you can loose a filling chewing on them when they're well chilled. So I carry one or two in an inside pocket, to keep it sort of soft.

But to be realistic, I doubt it matters all that much. If it tastes good and it works for you, go ahead and eat it, and it'll be fine. Kipper snacks are great, but they're kind of a mess. There was a guy who wrote a book about his solo climb of McKinley; he spoke at REI a few years ago, and he said he lived mostly on Top Rahmen.

(I think it was Harvey Manning who talked about making sure your emergency food wasn't so good that you ended up eating it all before an emergency hit. I believe at one point he recommended carrying... dry dog food! It's light, nutritious, doesn't spoil readily, and you're not likely to snack on it on the hike in! I guess that makes sense, but I'M not trying it!)

[This message has been edited by Alpine Tom (edited 06-14-2001).]

Lately for mountaineering I have been using GU. It packs small, doesn't easily freeze up like power bars, and the chocolate flavor has caffeine in it. I'm also a big fan of Pop Tarts. I'll also take along some type of muscle recovery drink such as Endurox R4 and use that twice a day. Really seems to help.

• 4 years later...