defunking stinky rock shoes with mirazyme

genepires

SO my rock shoes have some kind of bacterial culture in it that got real smelly when I wear the shoe for any time period. Made the feet smell really bad (it actually offended myself and I can't imagine what it was like for others around) but strangely the shoe didn't smell that bad. The shoe needed some kind of attention to relieve the problem.

Things that did NOT work:

Throwing the rock shoe in the washing machine

Anti bacterial spray from grocery store

Something that DID work:

Found an old bottle of mirazyme (made by McNett in the b'ham) which is made for washing wet suits, sandals, rock shoes and other sports gear) and followed the directions on the bottle. Made a solution in a 5 gallon bucket and submerged the shoes in it overnight. Next day commenced the 3 day drying session. Happy to say that the shoes do not create the stentch like before and I have used the shoes for about 5 days since the cleaning.

Will report if the shoes return to conditions as before but I doubt that it will.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rubbing alcohol in a spraqy bottle - drench the stinky surfaces and let dry.

I won't go so far as to say this is a bad idea, but i will say that the guy I buy my Nicks from (leather work boots) says that alcohol on the leather will help break it down enough to help it stretch and break into the foot's shape. So, it seems like this meathod COULD mess up the fit of a pair of rock shoes. But, I've never done this to my shoes so I can't say definatively that it will do this.

Just ordered two bottles Mirazyme and delivered to B'ham REI: $4 per bottle.

Gene: The method I've used and seems to work is TAKE A BATH! :battlecage:

hmm.. ok.

the rubber seems to work the same. It is also made for the rubber seals on dive masks so I doubt that it would seriously affect it in anyway. Made for dry suits too so I would guess that it doesn't degrade materials in any way.

mirazyme is alot cheaper than new rock shoes. duh.

• 10 months later...

I did this Mirazyme treatment to my shoes too and it worked.

This was after AviTripp and I drove back from Indian Creek to Seattle with my shoes strapped to his roof because they smelled so bad.

Just don't use it on a shoe with a weak cardboard sole which might be damaged by being submerged in water!

McNett has a new product called "quick fresh" that seems to work really well on odors.

An old trick from theatre: spray bottle loaded with straight vodka, the cheaper the better. Spray on, let dry, smells gone. The wardrobe ladies do this with costumes all the time. I do not know what the advantage is over rubbing alcohol, but I know they use vodka and not rubbing alcohol and there's probably a good reason for it. I have not tried the vodka on shpoes, but I would expect it to work fine.

try washing your shoes with a bit of liquid dish soap and water. two basin sink, and tooth brush to get into the nooks and crannies. This works great for me. After heading to smith I wash them out everytime, gets the dirt out and prevents funk. Then I dry them on a peet boot dryer or if it is nice out just leave them on the stoop.

This thread stinks.

Gene, thanks for addressing a subject that's near and dear to all of our noses. I've had to strap my shoes to the roof rack many times.

Foot odor trivia: The same brevibacteria that creates toe cheese is also responsible for giving the stinkier blue cheeses their 'nose'. Consider than next time when ordering a salad.

try washing your shoes with a bit of liquid dish soap and water. two basin sink, and tooth brush to get into the nooks and crannies.

i personally found this more effect than spraying the shoes with lysol (ie, alcohol; although i do spray them down after climbing just to help minimize "growth" in there). a good scrubbing pad (like the kind you'd use for dishes) and some tide detergent seemed to really get the gunk out of there and made the shoes look like new again. was kinda gross though how nasty the water turned after a couple minutes of hard scrubbing!!! :shock:

• 2 weeks later...

Something that is really effective and easy: get some Dr. Scholl's Sure Shot or Power Shot (can't remember what it's called) and shoot this talc into your shoes before climbing. It comes in this bottle with an angled neck; it is made for this purpose as all you have to do is give it a quick squeeze and it shoots the right amount of powder into the shoe.

This stuff will soon totally remove the smell, and when used somewhat regularly, prevent it from coming back. It also makes your shoes more comfortable because it keeps you from sweating so much, which is the cause of the problem.