Give up yr DNA!

dmuja

So if I ever get pulled over, and the fine upstanding officer decides he thinks he smells some type of illegal substance in the air, and then decides to arrest me based on a suspicious seed he finds on the floor of my vehicle, maybe I will be faced with a choice. Do I blow his fucking stupid ass away, or do I give up my DNA to some registry somewhere that will forever be accessible and cross checked for every possible crime known to man from now until my death?

What the fuck have we come to? What the fuck happened to the ideal "innocent until proven guilty"? Welcome to 1984..

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/301091_crimebills25.html

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

These are the words of the guy pushing the bill:

"For anybody nowadays who watches TV, I don't have to explain how the use of this technology in a fair and balanced matter does help our society," he said. "With all those shows out there, it's hard to argue that this will harm anyone's civil liberties. The public pretty much understands it and understands the validity of it."

In other words, its so infallible that you would probably be convicted based on nothing else except DNA evidence (just imagine the efficiency!). But wait a second, cant your DNA be planted somewhere? Cant labs be broken into or could there ever be mishandling of the sample? Do you trust that the police and or prosecutor are perfectly ethical? OR, will someday someone knock on your door and arrest/convict you simply because some computer program singled you out as a "match"?

I mean, its infallible right, the perfect system? We all know that only bad guys end up in jail right?

So what do we got to worry about?

This is out-fucking-rageous.

I am particularly horrified by this quote:

"The problem we have is that in our justice system, people are assumed innocent until proven guilty," he said.

-Sen. Adam Kline, D-Seattle, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee

emphasis mine.

Yes, that really is a "problem" isn't it you fuckwad.

"Some of the crimes that are identified in this bill are not only misdemeanors, but those that are known to move on to greater crimes," Miloscia said.

By this argument I think you could also advocate taking the DNA of someone whenever they buy a gun. I think an amendment of this kind should be offered.

that and GPS and RFID implants, coupled with a neural interface for Corporate Headquarters to do a manual override remotely should you become a runner instead of getting into the carousel would make us a lot safer. Also, install safety nets underneath bridges to prevent people from trying to get out of their lifelong contract early.

According to this bill, the pool of "suspect DNA" would be limited to people who have been *ARRESTED*. I was once arrested at a traffic stop because I resembled a guy who that robbed a nearby hotel, I was released, but now they would have my DNA in their data base forever. I would from that moment on be part of the "suspect DNA pool". Why should I be in that pool? That in itself is fucked up.

If were gonna allow this, then EVERYONES DNA should be in the pool, not single out people who have been arrested (or even convicted of petty crime imo). Lets see how we like it if everyones DNA is in this pool.

I don't get how a DNA database is significantly different than a fingerprint database.

If they can plant your DNA, they can also plant your fingerprints - so what?

Most of the time, DNA is used to exonerate suspects. Paranoid much?

Uhh, you can't just plant "DNA". You can plant a hair, or some saliva, or maybe sperm. DNA isn't really that useful except in cases of rape or rape-murder. Honestly, I can't imagine too many women willing to plant your "DNA" on themselves in order to frame you...

For the vast majority of crimes, I can't see how you would end up leaving DNA behind, and even if you did, all it does it prove you were there...

Look at the Duke non-rape case - don't you think the defendents are glad DNA technology exists? And if anyone was ever going to plant DNA evidence, don't you think it would have been Nifong?

I don't get how a DNA database is significantly different than a fingerprint database.

If they can plant your DNA, they can also plant your fingerprints - so what?

Most of the time, DNA is used to exonerate suspects. Paranoid much?

One does not need to be paranoid to recognize the ugliness of this proposal.

I think it's a privacy issue more than a fear of government issue.

If you're really worried about The Man framing you, they are going to be able to frame you with or without this DNA program. In fact, once people understand how this works, DNA might even be less incriminating than fingerprints. It could place you at the crime scene, but it will also place every other individual that has ever dropped a hair there. Now, if your DNA is somewhere less universally accessible (say, the vagina of a rape victim), well, maybe you got a problem.

Anyway, the real escalation of the DNA sampling over the fingerprint sampling is all the myriad of information that the DNA is going to tell about you. The information that can be gleaned from DNA is ever growing.

Some people don't want the govt. to have access to a lot of the stuff that DNA can tell or will be able to tell soon.

The part about DNA samples exonerating people is a total red herring. Your DNA may get you exonerated, but you don't need it to be in a federal database a priori. Once you're up to your neck in a false accusation, you can voluntarily give up your DNA sample. And in fact, if there is probable cause, you will probably already have had to give it up!