British Columbia hiker falls 200 meters

unethicalhiker

A hiker on Mt Seymour slipped and fell 200 meters down an icy chute on Mt Seymour. He was very lucky to escape with his life.

He slipped once and recovered with help of ice axe and then a few meters on he slipped again but did not catch himself.

The accident occurred near the end of the hike. They only had snowshoes. No crampons. The intial slip must have alerted him to the danger so this likely was not a fall due to carelessnes or inattention. Is it appropriate to try to traverse a steep icy slope in showshoes. Don't you take your snowshoes off and cut a path with your ice axe? These guys faced steep icy slopes all day. One of the hikers was a speedster so this may have contributed.

Link to story:

http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=f27bfc0f-0ddf-4c47-8ac5-6373f217694c&k=4267

Edited by unethicalhiker

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

An army of rescuers spend a night or two with the fellow but could extract him due to poor weather; helicopter swooped in when the weather broke and flew him to safety; broken leg, maybe internal injuries, whacked his head too as I recall; the fellow's immensely grateful for all the help, yada, yada, yada...

Im not a girl and Im not going to get sentimental about some random stranger in a foreign country.

I found another picture which shows that there was at least 6 inches of snow on top of the icy surface. I couldnt really understand how they could have got even 10 ft with snowshoes on that ice. I have fallen on black ice so I know how fast things can happen.

and banned.

armchair quarterbacking, anonymous judgementalising, jerk with superiority complex. You fail to convince me that the new member "unethicalhiker" is going to contribute anything of lasting substance or value to this bulletin board. So either re-think your motivations for wanting to participate here and register a new ID with a better attitude, or just piss off forever.

and banned.

armchair quarterbacking, anonymous judgementalising, jerk with superiority complex. You fail to convince me that the new member "unethicalhiker" is going to contribute anything of lasting substance or value to this bulletin board. So either re-think your motivations for wanting to participate here and register a new ID with a better attitude, or just piss off forever.

This is a joke right.....you've just disqualified 25% of the posters here