How did cc.com miss this one!?!?!?!

Peter_Puget

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minx –

All I can do is relate some of my experiences.

My wife and I use to hike a lot. While she was about 5-6 months pregnant with our first child we were hiking during a rain storm and she slipped, hit hard and slid down a hillside about 20 feet. We decided to head back to the car and on our way home we decided we should limit our hiking difficulty to that of circumnavigating Greenlake.

In my early late teens I sustained a climbing injury as the result of just making a move on TR ( I had made this move at least 100 times before ~10a/b) and having an important tendon rip. Surgery was required to fix this little or maybe not so little problem. Move forward 20 years and a friend of mine suffered a similar injury albeit on a more difficult route. A friend ripped his bicep off his forearm on an .11a slab last summer. Stuff happens while climbing even w/o falling.

When my wife was pregnant with our second child she had a non-pregnancy related serious medical issue. She was forced to make decisions for two. With surgery the last option to be considered she was more concerned with the potential consequences of anesthesia on our son than with her own health. She had to be persuaded to undergo surgery rather than waiting it out. Imagine how she would have felt if she needed surgery for repairing a tendon blown out on an easy route she had climbed before many times. For a couple years after his birth we kept looking for some sign that he was impaired. Rational fears? Who knows but in the overall scheme of things climbing is small potatoes!

:brew:

And so your experience should be used as a guideline for everyone else's behavior?

That makes sense.

Archy -

I do not think you can find anywhere in this thread where I said anyone should do anything I say or use my experience as a guideline. Minx asked what I thought and I answered.

Cheers :crazy:

Yes, we all hold back what we really mean and leave it up to obvious deduction so that later we can say, "I never said that".

I do the same thing. No biggie--we're all human.

Glad your kid turned out okay, any kind of accident is super scary.

Wow alot of hidden something there Archy. It must be tough to live in a world where when someone makes a different choice in their life than you would have made there is an implicit value judgment being made on you. Crazy.

Yes, we all hold back what we really mean and leave it up to obvious deduction so that later we can say, "I never said that".

I do the same thing. No biggie--we're all human.

Glad your kid turned out okay, any kind of accident is super scary.

Wow alot of hidden something there Archy. It must be tough to live in a world where when someone makes a different choice in their life than you would have made there is an implicit value judgment being made on you. Crazy.

What's really funny about this is that what is so bothersome to folks about you posting this thread was just that very same thing: you seem to imply that you are making a judgement call on Aimee for climbing while pregnant whilst you and your wife decided differently.

Do you see the irony here?

Hey PP-thanks for answering the question. I think that if you and your wife made a mutual decision to limit the activities that's great.

I just don't agree with that approach. After discussing it repeatedly with my doctor, I maintained a very active lifestyle for the first 7 months. I toned it down for the last bit for a variety of reasons. Mainly b/c I was tired.

My doctor assured me that any fall was going to hurt me more than the baby during that time. He had more cushioning than I did. My physician was comfortable with me riding my horse in limited fashion, hiking, jogging. I took care of 12 horses every day including moving bales of hay and cleaning stalls. He assured me that the impact from falling off my horse was unlikely to cause problems. He felt that sitting on my ass would be worse for both of us.

One of the most painful injuries I've ever had was a broken elbow. I got that walking across a floor. I don't think there's in any point in living too delicately. Women have been having babies for a long time. It's not an illness or injury.

I did have some minor non-pregnancy medical issues during my pregnancy. They were relatively minor but I did have to think for two at that point. Challenging to be sure.

I had a very easy time being pregnant. I am convinced that being active and going on about my life as usual really helped.

just think of it as having a little person bivvying in your uterus. then its all good and you can hit the alpine.

Cute! :)

Sorry, to mention this, but...this kinda goes back to the whole "hood" debate. It's PERSONAL CHOICE based on your knowledge, experience and instinct.

I honestly cant believe there are ANY females who has chosen (and often not chosen) to have a child and want to harm it in any way. this includes those messed up on drugs and alcohol. There is a unexplainable, remarkable bond that takes place in pregnancy. Of course there is often one with the father as well (which I will never know). It will never be the same, though. Sometimes you just have to trust that the female knows and understands what is best for them and their child. In some cases that may involve little activity. I place no judgements on those who make that choice.

Consider some of the research regarding what the baby senses while in the mother's womb. Could it be possible that the feelings mom has while climbing might be passed down? How about the possibilities of inspiring adventure and freedom into a child before he/she is born?

good on her, as I trust she made the best decision for both her and her child based on dr recommendations and instinct.