Hey Mayor Nickels!

Fairweather

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also suspect that his proposal to require background checks at 'gun shows' is also more political grandstanding. IIRC, checks are already required for federally licensed gun dealers and this proposal would only seek to shut down private guns sales at ostensible 'gun shows'.

I do follow the issue closely. I also grew up with guns and am a former gun owner (Dad gave me one, but I got rid of it when my nieces and nephews entered the picture and started to wander around the house under their own power). Backround checks at guns shows is an excellent proposal. Gun shows are free for alls, where you can buy everything from a sawed off shotgun to a Chinese made AK (from personal experience...you should see my buddy's 'odd' gun collection. Also, as I mentioned before, most guns used in violent crime are purchased from federally licensed gun dealers...who sell out of their homes. Wanna sell guns? Get a real store with accurate recordkeeping.

I've never quite understood the special hate that gun haters have for semi-auto rifles. What fucking difference does it make? My semi auto and my bolt action rifles are both the same caliber. I've used my bolt action so much I can damn near fire it as quickly as my semi auto. and I don't go for the "so you don't need the semi auto" b.s. either. What I don't need is someone making arbitrary lines on what I can own and what I can't own. Therefore, I'd like to hear the logical reason behind this distinction.

There are no sides. There the super rich and there is "us"

There are the genuises, the reasonably intelligent, the average, the below average, the morons...

...and then there is you.

But remember I not at the bottom there yet two more. You and Kevbone.

Me against the world. Fine bring it on, got my 9mm. It will be like the end of Saving Private Ryan, me shooting my cap gun at the tank.

I've never quite understood the special hate that gun haters have for semi-auto rifles. What fucking difference does it make? My semi auto and my bolt action rifles are both the same caliber. I've used my bolt action so much I can damn near fire it as quickly as my semi auto. and I don't go for the "so you don't need the semi auto" b.s. either. What I don't need is someone making arbitrary lines on what I can own and what I can't own. Therefore, I'd like to hear the logical reason behind this distinction.

Good point. Two guns below. Same caliber, same semi-auto capability. One is classified a so-called "assault rifle" and one is not.

mini14.jpg

nbrtaca4.gif

But neither of these guns would get you anywhere near a person who is proficient with this weapon:

306309.JPG

A simple bolt-action hunting rifle in common .308 or .30-06. Puts out over 3 times the energy that the .223 has.

So what's the point in banning a gun that is used in less than 1% of crime, is less powerful than a hunting rifle, and almost impossible to conceal?

I normally hunt with a bolt action .243, I like the straight trajectory (about the same as my old semi-auto mini 14). But I have an 06 that I bring with me when I am in bear country. They are different guns for different activities. My gun activities never involve shooting another human being (after all, I am not the vice fucking president), so what difference does it really make to other people? I really just don't get it. I guess I'm thick like that.

Nevertheless, I still don't get why folks get on this reactionary political bandwagon everytime some asshole shoots someone.

So I'm reading about New Orleans high violence rate, and this is what I see:

The journalist is sure to mention that some of the killings are done with assault rifles:

The killers are growing more brazen, striking in broad daylight and using assault rifles, even with police just 30 yards away. And witnesses refuse to talk.

But then everyone else doesn't mention guns. They start talking about the real causes of violence:

"We have a culture, a certain population in this city with an intent on committing violent crime," says Assistant Superintendent of Police Steven Nicholas. "They feel no repercussion, they have no fear of police."

"This alarming homicide rate is a function of the failure of these different municipal entities to coordinate in a really productive way," says Peter Scharf, a criminologist at New Orleans University.

Even the journalist has to sum it up:

Reasons for the violence are many: Drug dealing, retaliation killings, fewer cops and an overwhelmed legal system.

It's pure politics. Assault looking weapon = crazy person on top of tower shooting passersby. Doesn't matter what the performance of the weapon is. It could be a fucking BB gun. It's all perception, but that, after all, is what much of politics is about.

A large segment of the public also believes that only government officials should own 'assault' weapons. They are very nervous about private citizens owning this kind of weapon for recreational purposes. Just as they are nervous about people climbing Mt. Hood in winter.

The problem is, the issue consumes valuable legislative shelf space that could be used to actually curtail violent crime with guns (see my previous posts). It also robs it's proponents of political backing that they might otherwise capture if they'd just lay off and get real. Finally, if someone's going to go off the deep end and kill some folks, they're going to find a way to do it with whatever is available to them, assault ban or not.

BTW, a shotgun with slugs is much more effective against bears, but you knew that. You'll never have to shoot a bear here in self defense anyway, so unless you're wearing a 2 week old tuna wrap, it really doesn't matter.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Nevertheless, I still don't get why folks get on this reactionary political bandwagon everytime some asshole shoots someone.

People are funny that way, Archy. They sometiems react kinda strongly when they think things are happening that that they don't approve of.

Maybe you think it is no big deal when somebody gets shot but it is a big deal when a newscaster reveals that the woman who attended a party where she clamied that she was raped was a stripper? We don't need to rehash another thread, but my point is that different people have different "hot button issues."

No doubt, the guy was an asshole or a freak or whatever you might want to call him...and I somewhat buy the argument that guns don't kill people but people do. But it is fact that we have more murders than other first world nations, is it not? And guns are used in many if not most of those murders, no?

I'm not sure there is a practical way to get from here to there, but I think we'd ALL be much safer if there were a lot less guns in circulation.

People are funny that way, Archy. They sometiems react kinda strongly when they think things are happening that that they don't approve of.

Maybe you think it is no big deal when somebody gets shot but it is a big deal when a newscaster reveals that the woman who attended a party where she clamied that she was raped was a stripper? We don't need to rehash another thread, but my point is that different people have different "hot button issues."

No doubt, the guy was an asshole or a freak or whatever you might want to call him...and I somewhat buy the argument that guns don't kill people but people do. But it is fact that we have more murders than other first world nations, is it not? And guns are used in many if not most of those murders, no?

I'm not sure there is a practical way to get from here to there, but I think we'd ALL be much safer if there were a lot less guns in circulation.

Thanks.

Be sure to call me when the shuttle lands.

we live in a society that generates 30,000 gun related deaths a year . + injuries

life offers simple solutions that we don't want. get rid of your gun.

you vaccine for society. you drive cool for society. you vote for society,you grandstand like no one cares but you want your gun. you insist on shooting cans.

"when the power of love replaces the love of power man will have a new name...god." by ckg

I don't know. I have a sawzall, a splitting mall, an axe, an ice axe, and a car, all of which could quickly kill a person, but I don't. Sure, guns tend to be a bit more lethal than that, but you're talking about a total gun ban, which is not politically feasible in this country. Rather than going for a solution that will never come to be, I'd rather go for specific reforms that address the problem of people who use guns to commit crimes. Not shoot cans. Not shoot deer. Not fondle in their living rooms because they like finely worked metal.