So how is your holidays going?

fear_and_greed

Had big plans for climbing, skiing etc. during the holidays and so far events have conspired against me in such a way so that in the past 11 days I haven't so much as put on a mitten.

The original objective was an attempt to climb Mt. Robson via the Kain face. Or if the weather was unfavourable north, attempt Mt.Assiniboine down south. Failing that a week of ice climbing in Canmore. Had trained and planned for several months for this one.

My Buddy Jason flew up from San Fran into Calgary and met my other buddy Josh. The idea was for them to bond for a couple of days until I got there from Vancouver. Well when I arrived you could cut the tension in the air with a knife. The atmosphere was toxic even though when I've climbed with them seperately they were very easy going.

About this time I started to get very sick with the head cold from hell. Super congested and buckets of snot flowing.

So Jason and I decide to get back to Vancouver and hook up with BackCountryPunk and A-Ron. A ski trip around the Garabaldi Neve with as many peaks as we could bag sounded like a great idea.

I still didn't feel quite up to it though by that time and decided to meet them 4 days hence and we'd try the east ridge on Matier and area.

So yesterday I waited at the appointed spot at the appointed time until 9PM. No one showed. Did they fall into a crevasse, did an avalanche get them, are they lost/hurt? I left a note on the car and left for home. Oh yeah during my wait I got an attack of dysentary or something because I couldn't stop shitting.

Anyway, I decided if I didn't hear from them by noon, I was going to call for search and rescue.

ABout 10 a.m. "Officer Jay" called saying my note was found with my number on it. At first I thought it was Jason being a smart ass and fucking about. Given the potential for a serious situation to develope out of this, I wasn't too happy if i was being played with and was pretty rude :blush: to the "cop". He said to call him back if I didn't believe he was for real. I did but still didn't believe it until I heard a radio squawking in the background.

I gave him the trip details and the level of preparedness of the guys and assorted info. I figured their food and fuel would be finished today and wouldn't really be worried until tomorrow if they hadn't checked in.

As I sat and speculated the phone rang again. It was Officer Jay saying they had made contact and were on they way out, tired no doubt. Great relief.

Next weeek, the real world starts again. Maybe I should go night skiing at the local hill just to get some turns in :cry:.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

after my trip to ouray and xmas with gramma who I havent seen for years got cancelled I was pretty bummed.

Looked like I was gonna head up into canada in search for some ice this week/end. That fell through as well.

Its been rainy and in the 40's for weeks now, with the nearest ice probably in colorado.

Im unemployed at the moment, so needless to say I was super psyched to get some extra climbing in this season. I've been going crazy with all this time on my hands and no activity.

BUT...

Yesterday we got our first snow...3-4inches!!! Im out to clear off the car and head up north for the day in hopes of swinging into some ice as soon as the water boils and the thermos is filled. Though I know I will likely be scraping sharp objects on rock more than planting tools into ice, Im still super psyched to be getting out to play.

Here is to many more days of hiking ahead of us!:brew: