Safety In Pakistan

Valid ASB

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently stayed with a guy in Squamish that spent two months there climbing GII and he said that there were no problems whatsoever. He had photos of a Bush protest in Islamabad where there was a woping 50-100 people (read: very small). The people there are extremely gracious to any foreigners, given that they are the main means of income for the locals. Of course, they were Canadian though. I would pack the American flag deep in my rucksack and only get it out on summit day. :tup: :tup:

A little bit off-topic, but I just finished a great book by Greg Mortensen, a former climber who now builds schools in the way-backs of Pakistan and Afghanistan, to provide girls and boys of Islamist belief a secular education, as opposed to the education that they might get from a fundamentalist madrassa. It's a promise he made to a village chief after being rescued following his failed K2 attempt in 1993, and his own way of waging the War on Terror - one school at a time. Three Cups of Tea, a really good book, and it reads fast. Not yet out in paperback.

Pair this book with Mark Bowden's Guests of the Ayatollah and Ahmed Rashid's Taliban and you get a pretty good picture of why the Middle East hates us so much.

I was in Pakistan for about a month this past summer. I flew into Islamabad with several other americans and we drove the Karakoram Highway to Gilgit and then hiked/climbed. We had no issues although I might suggest you avoid things like Kentucky Fried Chicken or other western establishments in Islamabad and just be heads up in general. Pakistan continues to get a lot of trekking action from western Europe. I didn't get the impression that too many people knew we were from the US. I would but just be heads up.

war on terror????????

Your point being????????

It's a well-known fact in the world today that the United States is "leading" a largely unsuccessful "war on terror", much like we tried, and largely failed, to conduct and win a similar "war on drugs" some 20-odd years ago. I use the expression simply because it's well understood by most people the world over, even if it has become hackneyed.

Quit reading my drivel and go read the books. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...