Best bets for ice close to Seattle?

Jason_Formo

Hi,

I'm new to the area (and fairly new to ice climbing) and am looking for an area close to Seattle that has some top ropeable or easily leadable ice. We're looking at going out for one or two days the 28-30th. Any suggestions on areas, climbs, what is in, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a longer drive, but PanDome falls at Mt Baker ski area would be a slightly more reliable bet than Alpental Falls. Again, bring your skis and enjoy some turns should it not be in.

There also might be ice around Leavenworth that might be in, but its weather and temp dependent. Leavenworth is a really nice place to fart around for 2 days, though, in the winter, your time will not be wasted regardless of whether you get much ice climbing in.

Climbing ice around here really is a matter of hitting a good window, and those are not predictable. Best bet is to mine this site for information just a day or two before you head out here, and see what people have been climbing.

The millenium wall, described in Alex's book, would be a good bet too. Maybe spend one day there, then climb Hubba Hubba the next day. Millenium wall can be toproped (come in wide from the left to set the TR, otherwise you will do some difficult scrambling), but you must lead Hubba Hubba.

The main alpental falls area is not in right now, although there is ice further up valley.

It should stay cold enough for the next week that Banks lake will still be in a good shape too.

I was working on it, and actually had a new, working site on my laptop complete with an online version of the guide, new photos, new routes, etc, but never FTP'ed it to the new host and I had to re-build my laptop this past week and lost that work.

I will get something up there in the coming weeks, but its been slow going.

Alex K's book is a good idea. I especially like the part where it's explained that, basically, PNW ice can be had, but the flows don't usually come in for long and rarely get fat (making a broad sweeping generalization here).

Make a habit of watching the weather... closely, and for lenthy periods of time. The temps in Leavenworth have been better than normal for a good bit, but the daytime highs 'r gettin' to be a bit warm maybe. The north-facing stuff might be good. Anyone know?

There's roadside ice in Leavenworth up the Icicle Canyon at Rainbow falls and Coreno. Although they require a WI3 leader and would be very difficult if not impossible to TR. I am unsure about what's farther up the canyon as far as TR-ability.

Depending on where you just moved from you may find this season to be more of an education and insight as to what to look for next year and where. I moved here from the NE a few years ago and realized that I am spoiled. New England ice comes in for longer periods of time because it's just plain colder for longer.

We used to have to wait til mid-morning just for the temps to get above zero. Boy oh boy I miss the 'Dacks, but I can say that while they're still waiting for cold weather I climbed ice in Oregon a few days ago! Go figure. And I wasn't whackin' dinner plates off the route all day either. What a treat! Plastic ice DOES exist!

Get the book! And plan to spend more time driving and scouting routes than you will climbing them. But when ya find the stuff in it's worth it!