Bourbon

KaskadskyjKozak

I finished off a fifth of JD yesterday (not all in one sitting :grlaf:) and am looking to buy some good bourbon in its place (JD is Tennessee whiskey). Any recommendations out there? I want something smooth that you can drink straight but not so expensive it will break the bank, and you will not feel bad about mixing - say in a Manhattan.

The only bourbon's I've ever drank before are cheap stuff like Jim Bean (retch, too harsh). I think I've downed Wild Turkey shots at some point too...

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bourbon is nice if its decent stuff, I have a bottle at home that has some crazy wax top to it, i dont remember what its called, but its pretty decent and relatively cheap. If you like sweeter whiskey, I would highly recommend a Canadian Rye called "Weisers". Its readily available in Canada but I have found it at most Washington Liquor stores, its pretty cheap at 15 USD for a fifth and its good stuff by itself or with Coke. Its not bourbon, but its sweet enough that it might as well be,

There are different varieties of wild turkey. I have been drinking "Wild Turkey rare breed" and it's ok.

There is a rye that is among my favorites, called "Tangle Ridge." Don't know if you get it down there, but it is very good at a reasonable price in Canada.

Bourbon is nice if its decent stuff, I have a bottle at home that has some crazy wax top to it, i dont remember what its called, but its pretty decent and relatively cheap. If you like sweeter whiskey, I would highly recommend a Canadian Rye called "Weisers". Its readily available in Canada but I have found it at most Washington Liquor stores, its pretty cheap at 15 USD for a fifth and its good stuff by itself or with Coke. Its not bourbon, but its sweet enough that it might as well be,

That's an idea... I did buy some Irish whiskey recently - similar to Scotch but sweeter with a less earthy taste. Someone else recommended trying a Canadian whiskey as well. Maybe I'll need a bottle of each (Bourbon, Canadian whiskey). I'll need it for when the relatives visit over the holidays. :grlaf:

Edited by KaskadskyjKozak

There are different varieties of wild turkey. I have been drinking "Wild Turkey rare breed" and it's ok.

There is a rye that is among my favorites, called "Tangle Ridge." Don't know if you get it down there, but it is very good at a reasonable price in Canada.

Yes, there are different qualities of several of the whiskey makers, including "reserve", "10-year old aged", etc. I'm looking for good advice/feedback on any of these. Typically I'm wary of name brands because they pay a lot for advertising and are mass produced and might not be as good as lesser-known stuff.

I'm pretty fond of Jameson myself.

Jameson is Irish whiskey, not burboun.

Maker's Mark is the standard. Knob Creek is very fine, as is Basil Haydens.

Knob Creek or Woodfords. Anything else is trash.

Did someone actually say Wild turkey, talk about WHITE TRASH. Might as well drink your piss.

If you've been drinking JD, then you've got nowhere to go but up in the bourbon world. Start with Jim Beam, which is what you should've been drinking instead of JD. Then strap on a bottle of Wild Turkey and Wild Turkey 101. After that maybe step up to a fifth of Maker's Mark and then finish off the evening with some Knob Creek. If you survive all that, come back and ask about Scoth. :brew:

hahaha, wild turkey 101, i have three hairs on my chest from the three times i drank that, signifying three seperate times i threw up on my pants, wore them to class the next day, and didn't notice until i was walking home. and i wonder why i couldn't get dates with the smart girls...damn you 101

If you've been drinking JD, then you've got nowhere to go but up in the bourbon world. Start with Jim Beam, which is what you should've been drinking instead of JD. Then strap on a bottle of Wild Turkey and Wild Turkey 101. After that maybe step up to a fifth of Maker's Mark and then finish off the evening with some Knob Creek. If you survive all that, come back and ask about Scoth. :brew:

Well, I've already had a few fifths of Jim Beam... nasty stuff. I'll skip the low-end stuff and start with one of the other suggestions.

As for Scotch, well, I've only had the blended stuff. Currently polishing off some Johnnie Walker Black. When it's gone I intend to pick up some good quality, single malt stuff. :brew:

Did someone actually say Wild turkey, talk about WHITE TRASH. Might as well drink your piss.

When you're driving down the highway at night

And you're feelin' that wild turkey's bite

Don't give Johnny Walker a ride

Cause Jack Black is right by your side

You might get taken to the jailhouse and find

You've been arrested for driving while blind

White trash indeed! Mr. Billy Gibbons ain't no po white trash!