Reglue my skins for 35 bucks????

Jens

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jens,

I'm not in the business, but it is easy to remove the old glue with a plumbers torch and broad knife. Hang your skins from a nail, so they hang against some kind of board. Then hit 'em with the torch and scrape the glue off - working from top to bottom. You don't have to be real careful, but burning them would be a bad idea. Be sure to provide adequate ventilation - like maybe do this oudoors in a light wind.

I often read about the iron and paper bag method, and I would have to say I've never tried it, but I can't see how it would be any easier, quicker, or cleaner than using a torch. It really works very well.

Last I checked, the Ascension gold lable glue was the stuff to use for your re-apply. Follow directions: put it on thinly a couple of times.

As mattp says, a torch will work. You can get an attachement for the torch that fans out the flame, this way you'll have less chance of burning a hole and you'll get more even heat. A good hair dryer will work too; just don't let you know who see you using her hair dryer.

i recently re-glued my skins using the bd glue renew transfer sheets. having used the bottled ascension glue a few years ago, i think the transfer sheets work much better. grab a six-pack and take your time....a hot iron is the key to getting the old glue off and ensuring that the new glue sticks to the skin backing.

I have a pair of skins I've used for over 10 years -- I reglue them every other year but all I do is just glob more glue onto the skins. It's not the correct way to do it but it works fine. Note that these skins are for my mountaineering skis which have such terrible bases that gobs of glue don't matter. I'd never do this to my powder skis and skins.

Perhaps you all have more skillz than me. I just redid my glue w/ the BD transfer sheets and found it to be a bit of a nightmare. I did the 1st skin w/ paper bags (using up all we had in the house), then went out and got one of those painting spatulas, which I heated w/ my iron while scraping. I have to say that using a scraper is way faster and less headache. Another issue I had w/ glue removal, especially with the bag technique, was getting glue on the plush. Beware of glue leaking out the sides of your skins, then sticking to the plush when you shift the skin. I think laying down newspaper or (better) paper bags UNDER the skin and changing them often is important for avoiding this problem. Another interesting note is that ironing seems to have caused my skins to shrink (even though I used the "wool" setting as suggested). I think it's definitely possible to overheat your skins...

I also had problems with a break in the glue on the contact sheet, which caused a large portion of the glue sheet to turn into a big ball. I don't think peeling off 18" sections at a time is the way to go. I'd carefully peel back an inch or so, press it to the skin, and repeat...

Anyways, sorry for the detail, I just wish I had more info before I started regluing. Sorry Jens, it'd take a lot more than $35 for me to reglue your skins!

With a heat gun or a torch (with the flame spreader as indicated above), and using a broad knife, you get virtually all the glue off your skins, and none on the "wrong" side, in less than ten minutes.

I've never had a problem reapplying the glue, either.