[TR] Weekend Ice in Hope - Sailor Bar + Jarvis Bluffs 12/3/2006

G-spotter

Trip: Weekend Ice in Hope - Sailor Bar + Jarvis Bluffs

Date: 12/3/2006

Trip Report:

So after telling everyone that Hope was gonna be "out" and the Canyon was gonna be "in" this weekend it turned out that Hope was in and the Canyon was mostly out. Hmmmm :smirk:

Fern, Chris and Mer came out on Saturday morning. Fern and Chris took off right away & ended climbing the unclimbed curtain above Happy Boy at Goldpan :tup: I'll let Fern describe that b/c I just heard Mer's end of the cell phone conversation afterwards. I heard something about a broken pick though :ooo:

Mer and I drove up to Jackass, which had a couple big wet holes. So we drove back to Superheroes Cirque. Ultrawoman looked a bit iffy, so did the unclimbed thing next to it, but SBG was blue and fat so we climbed Sailor Bar Gully. 3 pitches, 2+, 2 and 2, fun climbing though. The second pitch is a ramp in a chimney, fun fun.

sbg.jpg

SBG

sbp2.jpg

P2

sbp3.jpg

P3

We finished Saturday off with some roadside bouldering :grlaf::D

tunnelsmall.jpg

We did a little scouting up the Coq for Sunday, and then drove back to the Wack, where we saw this hotness in the sky :cool:

tonight.jpg

So today Shaun came along and we climbed as a party of 3. we headed to Jarvis Bluffs. Shaun was itching for a rematch with NW Passage but the first pitch had fallen apart :( (actually, whew ;) )

So we climbed Momentary Lapse at the left end of the Bluffs. This is supposed to be a 4 but I didn't want to go up the normal finish because it was a little bit detached and there was wet dirt and cedar roots up there. Instead I made a fun traverse way right that felt more like 3+, and climbed a chimney between ice and rock to a ledge, where the belay ended up being some screws in a cracked icicle, a "bomber" Spectre in a crack and a slung cedar the size of my arm :P but we did find a better rap anchor thanks to Shaun's Tree Service arborial skills.

momlap1.jpg

Double rope seconding

momlap2.jpg

Brawl for the final chimney

mrap.jpg

Rap off

adapproach.jpg

Shaun does some bouldering

bwasseen.jpg

Black and White at extreme left, As Seen On TV scary thing in the middle.

By the time we got down it was just after noon, and it had warmed p from -3 to +2 and things were wet and melting. We saw a big chunk fall off ASOT. Shaun took off right away, M and I decided all this roadside ice was unnatural so we went for a short bushwack through knee-deep snow and prickle bushes to look at some unclimbed thing that turned out to be only about 15m high, and melting too. Then we called it a day and hit the Blue Moose for espresso :brew::tup:

I think that's it for this cold spell around Hope but I have high hopes for the rest of the winter :D

Gear Notes:

"Bomber" Spectres are mandatory. But in most places you could get 17cm screws in. I could have used some TriCams for the top of Momentary Lapse, but I left them in the car :(

Approach Notes:

Drive car to base of ice route and climb, both days :tup: :tup:

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After hiking to mousetrap on saturday and seeing it spurt water my friend and I went to sumallo bluffs. We climbed the bus-kippan route. There was lots of snow on the ice and it was a bit rotten, not to bad though. There is a sweet looking mixed route on the wall of above the route. The posting holing through side alder or the river crossing was probably the crux. The other routes on the cliff look good too.

Trip: Weekend Ice in Hope - Sailor Bar + Jarvis Bluffs

Fern, Chris and Mer came out on Saturday morning. Fern and Chris took off right away & ended climbing the unclimbed curtain above Happy Boy at Goldpan :tup: I'll let Fern describe that b/c I just heard Mer's end of the cell phone conversation afterwards. I heard something about a broken pick though :ooo:

Chris's gear is all shitty and broken, both crampons popping off, both tools breaking, blunt screws. But he put the rope up the Happy Boy curtain and bought me pie later. So I will climb with him again sometime.

The first pitch of Jackass was fun, brittle blobby cauliflowers and ice daggers hanging overhead, then a short squeeze chimney with no room to swing crampons or tools. Top pitch was just the wrong side of stable-looking. There was a climbable line, but it thinned down to only about 1 foot thick around the gushing hole at 2/3rd height. One day earlier it would have been fine.

Aweseome Fern...cant believe you guys got on Jackass..looked a little to sloppy to us..at least for what we were expecting..

We climbed after the gold rush which was ok...very short lived difficulties

Was that your car at the campground..please tell me you didnt trade the truck for that..?

geuss now we just wait till January..

Jackass was actually kinda brittle

was that your rig with the sea kayak?

that's Chris's car. My truck was in east van leaking a puddle of power-steering fluid all day :rolleyes:

looked like all the best ice was on the other side of the river as usual. Next cold snap in the canyon I am bringing a boat.

that's Chris's car.

Thank God...the bumper stickers and dreamcatchers made me worried...

Ya that was it..it was a great gas saver and was really fun as we 4X4'd up to some flow in Lytton..never a widow or sumtin or never married..dunno, as the rest of the ice in bc it was still flowin

I do know I paid 80$ in gas to link up two 10 meter pitches of ice, almost forgot what its like to ice climb in BC..

Some contractors with a railway traveller rig on their F350 actually offered to give us a ride up to the ice across from Yale, when we met them in the Chevron parking lot on Sunday morning. but we had to say no cause Shaun had to be home by 2 and they were gonna be working a 10 hour shift up there :cry:

• 2 weeks later...

Chris's gear is all shitty and broken, both crampons popping off, both tools breaking, blunt screws. But he put the rope up the Happy Boy curtain and bought me pie later. So I will climb with him again sometime.

The first pitch of Jackass was fun, brittle blobby cauliflowers and ice daggers hanging overhead, then a short squeeze chimney with no room to swing crampons or tools. Top pitch was just the wrong side of stable-looking. There was a climbable line, but it thinned down to only about 1 foot thick around the gushing hole at 2/3rd height. One day earlier it would have been fine.

Yea, I think Fern and I got the first ascent of the Happy Boy curtain at WI4 or so. It went something like this:

Fern: "I'm not leading that. But I want to climb it."

Chris: "Well my crampons are iffy, my picks are loose, it's late, we have no idea what's up there or how hard it is."

Fern: "Hm. I guess."

Chris: "Plus I'm a massive f*cking pussy, might have to bail, leave a screw, etc."

Fern: "Your screws are crap. Old school. $30 to replace. Big deal."

Chris: "OK fine but overall it's best not to climb it."

Fern: "Sure, I suppose..."

[long pause while climbers stare at lovely curtain of WI4]

So we climbed it. Aside from my crampons almost falling off and my ancient Pulsar folding like a well-lubricated Swiss Amry knife in the crux, it was fine.

Moral of story: if you climb with Fern, she will uhhh subtly ah um "encourage" you on. We are working on a name for this route-- perhaps "Fern 1 Reason 0"? ;-) of course I had to buy her some pie after. I mean, she was prepared to drag my carcass out of there and all.