Climbing in the San Juans?

Carp

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, there is a little adventerous stuff on Orcas. It is still being looked over and developed. Some of it is water access. I am open to having another helper at times or another pair of eyes in the explore.

Are you planning a trip to Orcas? If so when we can hookup for a day or so.

PS I am told of some good bouldering on San Juan. I have not seen the it but the reports have been positive. I think I could track down some info on them as well.

Edited by ketch

Same rock as Erie

I thought the same thing, until I looked at a map. Broadly speaking, rocks east of Orcas, including Lopez, are the same as Mt Erie. Mt Constitution is composed of very different rocks, which could be many tens of millions of years older, and generated thousnads of miles away from the Erie rocks.

Fresh oceanic crust rocks

Ben, you should know better than to say this. The rocks are all middle Mesozoic flisch, and have been incipiently metamorphosed.

that was more of joke you dolt written only to lure you out of your cave.

I am well aware of the imbricate thrust sheets (nappes) that make up the San Juan Islands...the islands are not a Mz "flysch" but rather segments of the ocean floor and trenches from long ago (faulted and folded) together. The age of the rocks has been dated to cover most of the Mesozoic and the islands also contain Paleozoic rocks. The incipient metamorphism is of a low grade nature. Honestly, the word fresh was used to indicate the crappy nature and young exposure in regards to the rest of the Cascades. Mark, I have an awesome new tectonic map from Joe Dragovich and Ned Brown that I am sure you would love to see. I could even pdf it to you for some money in exchange...as you know there are no FREE lunches. cheers.

Same rock as Erie

I thought the same thing, until I looked at a map. Broadly speaking, rocks east of Orcas, including Lopez, are the same as Mt Erie. Mt Constitution is composed of very different rocks, which could be many tens of millions of years older, and generated thousnads of miles away from the Erie rocks.

I have climbed on what Billygoat is talking about and it is indeed the same stuff as Erie. Not talking about Mt. Consitiution, which is a heap of choss in comparison (not saying that Erie and Lopez climbing is that great.....but)

Nice back tracking Ben, trying like hell to cover up when you're wrong.

In regards to flysch, that was specific to the Constitution formation, I was not clear about that. The imbricate structures has nothing to do with lithologies. Brandon considers (at least) portions of the Constitution Formation as flysch, and I would assume that Joe and Ned do also.

You are argueing apples and oranges.

Oly: I believe that you are wrong. Would you like both Ben and I to pdf you our maps, so you can verify the aerial extent of the Fidalgo Igneous Complex?

Please. But having climbed at Erie and Lopez, I can tell you the rock is very, very similiar. But I'm not a medical doctor, nor do I play on television, so I'll leave it to the geologists to tell me why they are different. They do appear to have the same properties and offer the same quality of climbing.

Nice back tracking Ben, trying like hell to cover up when you're wrong.

In regards to flysch, that was specific to the Constitution formation, I was not clear about that. The imbricate structures has nothing to do with lithologies. Brandon considers (at least) portions of the Constitution Formation as flysch, and I would assume that Joe and Ned do also.

You are argueing apples and oranges.

Oly: I believe that you are wrong. Would you like both Ben and I to pdf you our maps, so you can verify the aerial extent of the Fidalgo Igneous Complex?

So Mark, are you a UW grad or just owner of the UW side of the NWCS tectonic arguement....You state ALL above and now recoil and say "some", kinda like the arguments in the papers from Cowan and Brandon vs Brown et al. The imbricate structures have everything to do with what is currently visible on the surface. Perhaps there is a mentioning of massiveness in the lithological description but that is monor compared to the tectonic evolution in the area.

You are right, apples and oranges. Ultimately, the rocks are seriously funked up and typically are not favorable for rock climbing. Yet, I have spyed some stellar looking crack lines along the banks of a few islands during sailing trips. But in all honesty, I do not believe they are worth more than small talk while piloting the sailboat.

Actually I went to WWU, the same time Joe did cheeburga_ron.gif

The imbricate structures are how they got there. You could imbricate dirt.

Anyway, you were the first to back step, but in a couple more paragraphs you'll be crying about living in Seattle, and calling people cidiots.

Oh, by the way, isn't this when you insert the fact that you're Fred Beckey's tennant into the arguement? That always works good.

Yes, both erie and lopez are part of the Fidalgo Complex, however the lithologies of both rocks, I "think" are not the same. My refrence is only at 1:625K so, it is very broad. I have not spent as much time on Lopez as Fidalgo or even San Juan. Look fwd to exploring the island sometime.

Actually I went to WWU, the same time Joe did cheeburga_ron.gif

The imbricate structures are how they got there. You could imbricate dirt.

Anyway, you were the first to back step, but in a couple more paragraphs you'll be crying about living in Seattle, and calling people cidiots.

Oh, by the way, isn't this when you insert the fact that you're Fred Beckey's tennant into the arguement? That always works good.

Mark, you are so funny. I am glad there are people like you to keep people like me laughing.

You are right, imbrication is a catch all but the fact is they are thrusted on top of each other. This is why we see Garrison schist ontop of the constitution formation.

You told me I should know better than this....so I explained my outlandish comments to what seemed better, yet you continue to challenge each thing I say...so the_finger.gif

And what is your point about my "cidiot" statement in the past. The kid wrecked my friend's and my summer day. Also based on the comments I heard at Index that day, many other people were completely irritated. Furthermore, I think the Hawks hanging out at the Country were very upset (based on the constant screeching). However, that is done and now it is over.

As for your FB refrence. Big deal, I pay him rent to live in his house, which is more or less a storage unit for the grandfather of all us "Cascade Climbers". In the long scheme, my living there has given me the savings to soon buy my own storage unit. I do hate living in Seattle, I think I have made that obvious many times over. So, why don't you fOff.

Ps. I forgot you are a viking grad....hahahaha

give me a buzz when you can

bigdrink.gif

That camp was on Lopez, and there is climbing on what is now Paul Allen's property, which used to be Camp Nor'Wester. The camp had two climbing areas, both small with under 10 routes each. One was a chosspile with some easy stuff behind the cooks cabin. The other had some harder routes on what I recall was quality rock. I haven't been there in over 17 years, but both cliffs were around 30-40 feet tall.