Large Cam recommendations WC#5 or BD#5 ???

ericb

I'm interested in buying a big crack cam, and having a hard time deciding between the #5 BD C4 and #5 Technical Friend. It looks like price/weight/range is pretty close with the Wildcountry a little cheaper, lighter, smaller. I've seen reviews that said WCs were the most stable for big cracks, and others that say the same about BD...thoughts? Any experiences on the relative strength/stability?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had any experience with the C4 #5, but the old ones were definately less stable on the big end than the WC tech friends. I had the fortunate/unfortunate time of aiding up an overhanging squeeze chimney/offwidth in Kyrgyzstan with only a BD#5 and WC #6 to leap frog. Given, the WC #6 was a bit bigger, but it was also way more secure when pulling sideways as I tried to slither up the wider side of the chimney with the cam placed in the back. I still like my camalots in the smaller sizes though, and like I said, that was pre-C4.

the double axle design defends the BD individual cam lobes from getting into weird tipped or twisted configurations. The big C4s are more stable than the old design (longer cam axle), check online stores and you can often find them 10-20% discount which will make them cheaper than the inferior WCs

the double axle design defends the BD individual cam lobes from getting into weird tipped or twisted configurations. The big C4s are more stable than the old design (longer cam axle), check online stores and you can often find them 10-20% discount which will make them cheaper than the inferior WCs
Thanks Fern. You cut right to the chase. Longer axles = more stable.

Mr. G.

Please post a list of climbs on which you have placed a #7 tricam.

Camptricam7.jpg

1) Dolphin at J-Tree

2) some chimbley at the Shorter Wall, J-Tree

3) aided off one at Straiton Bluff on Sumas Mountain

4) at the top of PigPen at Harrison Bluffs

6) in the OW at the top of Corner Crack at Squamish

7) Marble Four at Marble Canyon

I think one or two other places but I forget where. I think there's somewhere you can place it at the bottom of Joe's Crack if you are building an anchor for teaching purposes.

i have one of those older #7 flexi friends, when they decided to make every piece red colored.

anyway, it's light and i use it instead of a 4.5 camalot. BUT!....

the trigger is so goddamn small I can barely get my swollen finers around it and between the wire. it has sharp raised nubs (for blind climbers?) and hurts to squeeze it. it's so floppy that sometimes the cam lobes involute and get caught in their own trigger wires during desperate placements.

Choda Boy loves that piece

Mr. G.

Please post a list of climbs on which you have placed a #7 tricam.

Camptricam7.jpg

1) Dolphin at J-Tree

2) some chimbley at the Shorter Wall, J-Tree

3) aided off one at Straiton Bluff on Sumas Mountain

4) at the top of PigPen at Harrison Bluffs

6) in the OW at the top of Corner Crack at Squamish

7) Marble Four at Marble Canyon

I think one or two other places but I forget where. I think there's somewhere you can place it at the bottom of Joe's Crack if you are building an anchor for teaching purposes.

You are a fucking madman.

thumbs_up.gif