Suggestions??

MATT_B

I am going to head up to the olympic peninsula in a couple of weekd with my girlfriend. Never having spent any time there I would like some suggestions on where to camp, what to see, good EASY climbs, etc. What are the chances that I will actually have good weather? Thanx for the help.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't a climbing destination, but the wilderness beach north and south of LaPush is one of the most beautiful places you could ever go for an overnight hike. For the north strip, you can stay at a campground (Mora) right near the start of the hike, and you are on the beach as soon as you leave your car. Hike as far as you want, and then camp (pay attention to tides and the warnings that some headlands may not be passable at certain tide levels). Toleak Point, south of LaPush, is one of the most beautiful places around. But it requires a full half-day of hiking and some wading.

If you head for the west side of the Penninsula, be sure to stop in at one of the rain forests to bond with some big trees - The N. Fork Quinnault would be a good choice because it is less popular than the Hoh and does not have the river ford of the Queets.

For an easy mountain climb, Mount Washington is hard to beat. The logging road where you start is pretty high, and the E. Face is not quite the easiest route but it is more exciting than the "standard route" and easy enough that I have taken total beginners up it with good results but they gotta be able to handle scree and exposure. Here's a description:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000013

And there are some top-rope cliffs along the lake down below. Here's some info:

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000010

Run a search on this board and you may find something about sport climbing area in the Elwah River valley and somewhere near Quilicene.

[ 09-03-2002, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: mattp ]

I would second Matt's suggestion with more specific beta. GO TO SECOND BEACH!!!! It's an easy hike from the trailhead and once on the beach, persevere to the south around the corner and you should find relative solitude amongst the driftwood. Second beach is way better than 3rd beach and 1st beach. I have found often on the coast the weather is fine when just slightly inland the weather is grey with clouds backed up against the mountains. However, I have also experienced coastal fog while it was bluebird just a 1/2 mile inland.....so just go and deal. Any favorable forecast and all should be good. Second Beach is my most favorite campsite in Washington and even Art Wolfe has many awesome photos in his coffee table books from there. If it's not raining, you'll have a very memorable experience there. Driftwood fires are OK too, but try to make indian fire, not whiteman fire and save some for others! Gorgeous sunsets, nice walks, much exploring. I was there 3 weekends ago with my son. We paddled in my double kayak from La Push. Much easier to carry all the essentials for 2 people that way! You'll need to bring water. Try cicumnavigating the huge rock tower at low tide. It's sort of like climbing. My son and I made it around the outer one even...pretty technical at times. ENJOY!!!!

[ 09-03-2002, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: David Parker ]

quote:

Originally posted by David Parker:

We paddled in my double kayak from La Push.

When the seas are calm, that is definitely the way to go. But if the wind comes up, you better be ready to leave your kayak on the beach, walk home, and come back for it next week (or, at this time of year, next Spring).

I think you could follow Matt's agenda word for word and have a grand old time. I thought I'd add that if you wanted a good route on Washington you might do the big tombstone buttress that faces that logging road, dividing Big Creek from next basin to the right. Start at the toe and wander up: rock was good, clean, decent pro, in the 4th and 5.easy range with a little harder part at the top connecting back to the main peak. Maybe 10 pitches? We had a goat follow us up the first three pitches (waiting for us to pee, no doubt), he would just hang out at each bely, about 30 feet away, waiting until we moved up higher. When he was stumped by a steep step, he went around and met us on top! You could tell it was the same goat by the patches on his sides.

Do not go to the coast if there is a remote chance of rain. Check out the Northeast area of the park if weather looks iffy(Near Sequim). Hurricane ridge is a cool spot. You will have to pay to get here. And there will be a lot of people. The lower east side offers a lot of cool summits. As said Mt. Washington, Mt Ellinor(trail all the way to top). These trailheads are located about a half mile apart. The Brothers, just North of Washington and Ellinor on the Lena Lake trail/Hamma Hamma road. Fairly easy class 3. I recently heard about a sweet place not to far north of Hamma Hamma called The Royal Basin. I think reservations are a nessecity(call the ranger) here but is quite scenic and has multiple climbing options. Including Mt Deception, second highest summit in the Range, and the needles, which has many summits all class levels up to about low/mid 5 class. The Elwah River, near Port Angeles, is also a packing trip. Not many climbing opportunities along the way. Good luck!

quote:

Originally posted by MATT B:

...Never having spent any time there I would like some suggestions on where to camp, what to see, good EASY climbs, etc. What are the chances that I will actually have good weather? Thanx for the help.

Good Camp, EASY climbs, and on the margin of the rain shadow: Go to Marmot Pass. Actually, just above Marmot Pass. There is a nice grassy plateau just south and 300 ft above. Great 360 views of high peaks, Mystery, Warrior, Deception, Alphbet Ridge, etc. Easy traverse and scramble to the top of Boulder Ridge with more great views [Cool] Easy hike up Buckhorn Mountain to the North. Nice hike down to the Dungeness and Boulder Shelter and beyond toward Warrior Peak if you're more ambitious (bring a rope for this because you'll want to rap the summit tower down to the notch). Very moderate 6 mile hike in to the pass. This is a 4 star trip for someone who wants to take it a little easy and have a few options. Can't beat the campsite, but it's not official so tread VERY lightly in the heather and lichen. No water, but there may still be snow on the north facing slope. And there are more established sites lower in the meadowed basin just below the pass. You will see some of the best country the Olympics have to offer. Nothing hard core, but a good trip for a couple looking to do a little exploring.

Our favorite is a loop trail called SEven Lakes Basin. You start from Sol Duc Hot Springs, which even has cabins. We love the chance to take a hot shower and soak in a series of hot and hotter tubs after a weekend on the trail BEFORE the long drive back to Seattle. If you forget your swimsuit you can even buy a kind of paper suit.

Tricky: I tried that one by myself early this season and reached the end of my comfort level about a third of the way up. I think I did not locate the correct ledge to continue traversing across the next waterfall groove, and wound up heading up into steepening rock/cedar/moss that inspired me to stop. Later on I realized you could get a good scope on the route by driving on up the road and scanning with binoculars. Its a great looking side of the mountain, but I've never been there late season.

i'm with goatboy, marmot pass is hard to beat. you can setup camp above the pass, with the views, and have days of exploring. buckhorn is a great spot to watch the sunset, eat some HC. you can also do day jaunts down to Warrior/Constance area as well.

i love that place, really should be experienced during all seasons as the wildflowers are grand as well, rhoddedendorons in the spring, and the pass explodes like a freshie face shot in the late summer!

If you're bringin a date and want to git nekid, head fer Olympic Hotsprings up the Elwha River. A 2 mile (ish) hike into the springs where there are a number of pools to choose from. You could do an easy scramble up Appleton peak near there this time of year and have sweet views!