Red Rocks in Sept?

alpinerack

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should be fine on the shady side of the canyons (left as you're walking in) When its 98 in vegas its nasty walking in but fine once you get there. Moderate covers a lot of ground these days, Epinephrine is good for a hot day because you start in a chimney and if you time it right you're in the shade when you exit onto the face above. Its easily 10 degrees cooler in the canyons.

Black Velvet Canyon is nice and shady usually, i think shade hits in the early afternoon. the approach takes 45 minutes to an hour ( if i remember right) so do the drive and approach in the morning sun and by the time you get there the shade should start to hit. if you ask the people at the climbing shop they should know (plus you'll drive by the climbing shop on the way), but i'm not sure how early they open.

black velvet approach is more like 20 min but yes, it's cool esp. the routes at the back past epinephrine. you can also do cartwright corner, or chocolate flakes, or many routes in icebox canyon. if tis really hot and you liek to clip bolts, go to mt charleston.

it is going to be a total massive bummer to hear this but...you won't be able to climb at The Gallery in Sept. i am sure this will ruin your trip. ;-)

buy the roxanna brock guide, NOT the swain (falcon)-- she has better topos etc and way more routes.

In the early morning the "normal" sport climbing areas at the pull-outs will be cool. But they will come into the sun at around ten.

There are a number of walls that are in the shade for all or most of the day. Check out Angel Food Wall, Willow Creek Canyon, the south side of Ice Box Canyon, Dark Shadows area, Community Pillar/Magic Triangle Area, Rainbow Wall and Crimson Chrysalis, Lotta Balls area, Black Velvet Canyon, and Global Peak.

In the afternoon, you can sport climb in Calico Basin.

The season starts in Red Rock in October, so September is usually really not that bad. You may need a couple of days to acclimate to the heat, but most people are able to do it.

Jason

Red Rock Canyon is usually 8 degress or so cooler than Vegas mostly due to higher elevation.

The Brock book, mentioned by chris stolz, also will tell you when a climb is in the sun or shade. Buy this book and spend some quality time with it.

Here's a link for checking out historical weather by time of the year. Plug in Vegas, end of Sept and you get a 64% chance the weather will be over 90 deg. At 8 degrees cooler, it won't be that bad, since it'll be dry.

I did a FA in first creek yesterday. On the hike in I had to wear a hat to keep warm. I wore pants and a long sleeve shirt and was perfect. Black Velvet canyon and shaded routes will be very cool in the morning warming up to perfect condtions.

You can pretty much take the temp in vegas and minus 5-8 degrees depending what part of red rocks you are in.