Labor day in the Enchantments

layton

Anyone know a good place to sleep w/o needing a permit in the enchantments.

I was thinking of going up there with my girlfriend fri-sun, but realized a.)i need a permit b.)it's labor day weekend.

I of course want to head up asguard pass, and tool around up in the plataeu area. can we skirt the permit boundary by camping near boola boola or something like that???

thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ranger told me last year you can bivi on the rocks below d-tail by lake colchuck sans permit - done that many times w/ no troubles

A Leavenworth Backcountry Ranger told you that? That surrpises me...and it would be a hard one to tell a militant ranger (imagine such a thing!) that some other ranger "told me it would be okay..." when the Militant One was about to ticket you or otherwise provide a hard time...

Ivan,

I personally agree with you, but I'm not an over-zealous by-the-book ranger either...

Mike, there's a pooper at the standard (north end) Colchuck Lake campsites (but I think it's about a 20-minute walk or so). You'll see wooden signs for it as you hike in on the trail through the camping area.

oh yeah. usually someone's camped right in the middle of the trail, blocking that sign.

i realized that i've gone over a year without hiking the colchuck lake trail. "hello my name is Mike, and I can't go a year without somehow hiking the Colchuck Lake Trail." Who knows, maybe there's a new stick or something on the trail this year.

Mike, take Ingalls into Ccrystal creek drainage. It is GORGEOUS!!! My friend and I climbed the south face of Crystal Creek Tower the other week it was really cool & scary!!!! White face, pretty. YEah, perfect places to set up camp too, call me and I'll give you directions to this cave we stayed in one night and another night stayed in a pretty alpine meadow surrounded by a cirque of towers, with water available. Just serene and perfect, dont have ta worry about gettin in trouble with fires either.

Have fun you two little lovebirds!!!!!!

kat