Mt Washington In Winter??

bonehead

Hey all and Guten Tag!

That big fat northeast face of Mt Washington is calling my name every morning as I glance at it from across the Hood Canal, especially in this gorgeous weather...

Does any have any experience/beta on climbing it in winter? There appear to be some major avalanche chutes, but are there some decent routes do-able in the midst of winter? Or am I better off waiting till May, or so...

Thanks, in advance,Jim

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About two weeks ago, Fairweather noted that the Lake Cushman road was currently washed out and I am not sure whether he is referring to the road toward Eldon, or the main road in from Hoodsport (last Summer, I encountered the former being closed due to a washout, but about three weeks ago, climberbro indicated that he was up there attempting a climb and got turned around by whiteout so I am guessing he was able to drive fairly close). I have in the past driven to about the 2,000 foot level on the Mt. Ellinor road during the winter, and Mt. Washington is a reasonable day trip from there.

The east face can be a very enjoyable winter climb. After crossing the big creek at about the 2,000 foot level, head up a spur road (very brushy) a couple hundred yards back right and head into the tall timber as soon as possible. If you stay away from the edge of the woods, where there are a lot of blowdowns, the woods are relatively clear of underbrush and it is not too hard to reach the upper road without hiking several miles to get there. Then, you could follow the route I described last summer.

http://www.cascadeclimbers.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000013

Matt,

THANKS alot for the beta. I'll never understand how your trip descriptions remain so detailed after a climb... Do you have a photographic memory or do you stop every ten minutes and put pencil to paper?? smile.gif" border="0

Now that I know it's do-able in winter, all that's left is to pick some days....Armed with your info, it won't be so hard to convince my buddies... I heard awhile back that the snow is well below the lower Ellinor trailhead, so the approach could be lengthy, but that adds to the experience, eh??

thanks again!

Jim

Making stuff up eh?? Well you know, there ought to be a disclaimer on all your posts, then! Something like, "Climbing is an inherently unsafe actvity! The author makes no guarantees regarding the accuracy of this information. The reader must use own judgment.....blah, blah blah" shocked.gif" border="0 You've probably written plenty of that boilerplate in your day, I'm sure!

Again, thanks for the beta. It's sounding better all the time. A bit of skiing to the start, and climb from there...

Jim

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:
Oh yeah, and my descriptions are detailed because I pretty much just make shit up.

"Uh... yeah...climb a 3rd class ridge, maybe with a few pro placements and the odd bush...avoid difficulties to either side... descend via the obvious gully". tongue.gif" border="0

On the "tire chains" thread, W was talking about receiving a call from climbers on Ptarmigan Ridge, asking for some hand-holding from the NPS.

By the way, I just checked a map and the wooded spur that I have used as a shortcut when hiking up from the lower portion of the road is actually right about at what is shown on the map as the "North Branch" or "North Fork" of "Big Creek." Anyway, unless the clearcuts are very filled in, you will find easier going beneath the tall trees where there is insufficient light for thick brush to take over.

As you walk up the road past the lower Elinor trail head, you come around a bend in the road that crosses the creek. At the bend walk up the creek about 10 yards, cross the creek and follow the tree line that seperates the road from the clear cut walking on the clear cut side of the tree line. You will see little red tags that mark the trail. The trail continues along the tree aline gradually gaining altitude until you hit a prominent ridge going up through the clear cut. Look for the trail and more red tags on stumps and what not. The trail continues up to the uppper Elinor Parking lot.

That would be a good shortcut for climbing Mount Ellinor when you can drive up the road, say, as far as the lower Mt. Ellinor trailhead. It would not at all help to get toward Mt. Washington. If you are blocked lower down (anywhere near or before Big Creek), I believe the route I described would be more useful -- whether you are going to Ellinor or Washington.

quote:

Originally posted by bonehead:

Does any have any experience/beta on climbing it in winter?

There were alot of people from Kitsap and Mason counties making a tradition of climbing Mt. Washington on Washington's birthday back in the early to mid 80's when I lived over there. There might be a good trail in after this weekend. Seems like the success rate was about every other year because of snow conditions.

Tried it once on Washington's Birthday even though it was raining cats and dogs and visibility was about 50'. That was the first mistake. Second mistake was forgetting my ice axe. Turned around about half way up, soaking wet and miserable. Went down to hoodsport and had a beer. Only good choice we made all day.