newbie question about MonkeyFace @ Smith Rock

I'm coming to Smith Rock for the first time end of Aug. I'd like to do Pioneer or West Face Variation. I'm just learning aid rigth now, no prior experience. I would appreciate advice on:

1. what gear I should have other my normal trad track?

2. how long is the rapel? Would two 50 meter ropes be enough?

3. any special gear my second would need?

Thanks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The bolt ladder is easy all you need is about 20 quick draws and each climber have a Gri Gri and off you go. Its a team effort. Clip the bolt throw your rope through it and say take and keep doing that on up.

Having two ropes makes the repell easy. You can get off with one rope but it sucks. You have to rap into the mouth and rap to bond street and down.

I really suggest at least useing some sort of aiders, I imagine it would make things alot easier than just trying to yard up 20 bolts on very steep rock. A biner can always be a fifi hook, tape it open if you really want. Read in freedom of the hills about the basic movement of aid climbing, if you know that it should be as straight forward as it can be. Oh and its Bohn street.

I second the above comments. The aid section is very easy with a set of aiders and a fifi to rest with. If you don't like fifi hooks, just get a biner. Your second would have the easiest time just aiding the pitch as well. You could do it wil accenders, but I think they might be more of a pain.

We rapped with 2 60m ropes, can't recall if 50m ropes would work or not. Definitely do the rap over Just Do It, it is not only a great long rap, but you can see what 14c holds look like.

Make sure you get a real early start (especially if you are leading the couple trad pitches below the notch). Its a great route, and coming out of the mouth is one of the best leads at Smith!

My partner aided it then sent the aiders down and I did the same on TR. Worked great. Watch the wind on the rap. It was howling through the gap when we came down and had the potential for getting a pretty good spin going. We did it with 14 draws but had to be pretty creative with back-cleaning. It was my only aid but I wonder if I'd have felt better with a key lock biner instead of the fifi?!

a fifi is way easier to use than a biner. I can't imagine why you'd want a locking biner?
Actually I meant a key gate but yer right of course, a fifi would be the ticket. Just a random intra-question - seems if a person was a bit nervous about the fifi for the first time(I was - seemed like not enough of a positive curve), that maybe a biner might feel more secure. Woulda been a pain to move though. Anyway, the fifi didn't slip off so must have been ok - right!?

you need double 60 meters to reach the ground from the nose boulder in one rap, if double 50 meters you have to make one more short rap at the bottom to reach the ground. I have climbed the west face variation many many times. Climbing with double 60 meter half ropes is great as there can be a lot of drag on the first two pitches of the west face variation take the left hand start on the first pitch through the bulge and then take the left hand variation on the second pitch listed in the Watts guide. Standard rack to a #4 friend will treat you right with two aiders (not two sets of two) and some jugs for the second. Only clipping every third bolt or so on the bolt ladder really helps out the second cleaning on jugs.

Shap

Ok question about aiders. I am looking at getting the Metolius pocket aiders. I am heading to smith next weekend. If I can't get them I am thinking about getting another pair and if I am getting a second pair I might as well get a pair for big wallin. That way I have a light weight pair for alpine and a heavier pair for everythingn else. What would be a good pair? How many steps? These are what I am looking at for the big wall.

http://www.yatesgear.com/climbing/etriers/index.htm

Also you just need one fifi hook? What about a BD Cliffhanger or grapling hook?

Never done aid climbing but will be heading that way soon. So trying to make my perchases count.

I have the yates aiders you're looking at, and I think they're pretty good.

You just need one fifi hook, girth hitched to your harness (I have mine on my belay loop)...to be hooked into bolts, biners, your daisy, etc. No need for other hooks if you're doing the pioneer route, 'cause the aid pitch is a bolt ladder.

If you want to do some aiding sometime let me know.

I think freedom of the hills gives a decent overview on the basics of aiding. Once you get your basic sequence down you won't look too much like an idiot...but you might want to practice a little bit before you're up on the bolt ladder with 3 parties sitting below you on bohn street tapping their feet and offering you advice.