Counterfeit!

marylou

A friend of mine bought a couple of paintings from me some years back. Her house caught on fire and the paintings were irretrieveably damaged by the smoke. I offered to make her some new paintings like the old ones. I finally got around to starting one of them today. The destroyed works were from 2001. I've painted a lot since then, and my style and skill have developed.

In some ways, this has been harder than I thought--even though I painted the originals, it almost doesn't seem like it, I guess just because of the passage of time. On the other hand, I'm a better painter now, so skill is taking over where emotion left off.

I'm just blabbering here while I'm waiting for paint to dry, but I wonder if anyone else has experienced something similar in making art or doing something else......

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the late 80's, my clothesline maneuver was absolutely devastating. It looked SO good on film. Today, it has the same effect on the chumps- death- but it doesn't seem as bad ass to me anymore. I do it when I have to, of course, but I've found playing my guitar to conjure up the same level of satisfaction in some ways. Perhaps I am mellowing with age. I know I'm a better martial artist today than I was 20 years ago, so maybe my increase in skill has offset the aggro emotions that I had in my younger days that was the driving force behind so much ass kicking I did.

I like to talk about myself because I am a fascinating person. I used to tell you about my hott girlfriend and my windshirt, my years of retail experience and NOLS courses, and how many wiregates I found on Das Toof. Then I got even more intelligent, not to mention better-looking, and I began to open up a little and let my emotions shine through. I talked about the isomers of heptanol, about my dealings with my faculty advisor, offered digital photo advice, and analyzed in detail the ways in which climbers caught in fatal accidents had made silly mistakes that I would never make.

But I have an artistic side too! So I will tell you about my forgery skills and how I once had a major publishing house offer to print a volume of my poetry at a very nominal price. Now I'm feeling all nostalgic for the days when I wasn't nearly as good as I am now. I just know that you find me even more fascinating than I do myself!

fruit.gif

I like to talk about myself because I am a fascinating person. I used to tell you about my hott girlfriend and my windshirt, my years of retail experience and NOLS courses, and how many wiregates I found on Das Toof. Then I got even more intelligent, not to mention better-looking, and I began to open up a little and let my emotions shine through. I talked about the isomers of heptanol, about my dealings with my faculty advisor, offered digital photo advice, and analyzed in detail the ways in which climbers caught in fatal accidents had made silly mistakes that I would never make.

But I have an artistic side too! So I will tell you about my forgery skills and how I once had a major publishing house offer to print a volume of my poetry at a very nominal price. Now I'm feeling all nostalgic for the days when I wasn't nearly as good as I am now. I just know that you find me even more fascinating than I do myself!

fruit.gif

Uhh.. yes, umm...I just bootied an early Black Diamond stopper from The Tooth. It has the Diamond C with a B....

You did not mention what the painting were about. Were they pictures of burning houses?

LIH38.jpg

DRU WHAT THE HELL SORT OF WEBSITES DO YOU GO TO? WHAT IS THE BROWN STAIN DOING ON THE UNICORN'S HORN AND THE TRACKS LEADING AWAY FROM THE BABY BEARS BACKSIDE MEAN? IT MEANS YOU ARE A SICK BASTARD.

fruit.gif

Allegory, cc.com style!