[TR] Cannon Mtn Couloir- Ski- No Shirt, No Skins, No Problem 7/10/2006

Kat_Roslyn

Climb: Cannon Mtn Couloir-Ski- No Shirt, No Skins, No Problem

Date of Climb: 7/10/2006

Trip Report:

The morning was bright and I was off to ski something. I ran into a friend at coffee on my way up to Mtnrs. Crk trailhead to ski the backside of Dragontail & she mentioned Cannon Mtn. Couloir still looked pretty decent last time she looked. So, I drove up and it looked like there was some snow alright! Not knowing anything about the approach, ski, topography combined with getting a late start this looked like a great option for freshly waxed skis, and a little more adventurous then the other memorized and boring hike to Colchuck plus I didn’t feel like running into 100 people asking “what? so yah think yer gonna ski huh?”

I figured the best approach would be to walk along the old logging road at mtns. creek trailhead and jet up from there. I thought this may be a good road to bike in the future, but don’t do it, definitely not worth it. The road had been washed out by slide awhile in, so here I started up the ridge of loose boulders in ash, then slide alder, this was just the foreplay to nettle bushes, buckbrush and a ton of fallen burnt trees (really fun when you are wearing shorts!), the frolic through a lupine hillside made it all worthwhile, this is where the sun was beating down and I tried to even out my tan sans top. I then went up more and over a couple more ridges to finally see the snow, I was actually on a ridge above it, so I had to descend, then ascend again and I was there 5 hours from leaving the car! Another hour up to the top, the sun cups weren’t all that bad in the fall line, but there was quite a bit of rock debris not making the flow that great, I probably should have taken another lap or two but I wanted to get home before dark. I tried to hike down the stream runoff but kept getting cliffed out, sketcheroony-roo. So I scrambled back up the ridge and down ze way I came, not in ze middle and ran down, took 3 ½ hours from base of ski. Got home to a cute boy that had made me dinner and laughed at my bloody legs.

Gear Notes:

No shirt

No skins

Orbit bubblemint gum

Approach Notes:

Ouch

Old logging rd.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif Congrats. That makes my list every year, but just hasn't happened yet for some reason. Next year, I swear.

For future reference, cross the slide and regain the road on the opposite side, then go another 50-100 yards on it before heading directly uphill. Going this way allows access to a brush and deadfall free ridge that makes for pretty easy going, although it is seriously steep in spots. It's easier than the ridge you went up which is covered with toothpicks, as you said. It also tops you out right next to the entry point for the north summit's north face couloir.

Anyway, that's the right way to get a tan. Skiing, exercise, fresh air and bronzin' up... no better combination I figure.

--Scott