90 years ago

G-spotter

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the History and stories of this Battle and it will leave You with sad empty feelings. A hell of a lot of Young men died on both sides for a few yards of dirt. Because of this Battle My Great Granddad deserted the Germany army and sneeked over the Alps with kids in tow, only to end up in Eastern Washington.

Thread Drift - but it's pretty amazing to look at photos of New England from around a century ago and compare that to today. Back then I think New England was something like 80 percent field and 20 percent forest, and now the reverse is true.

New England in general is not nearly as paved as a Westerner might assume. I've heard JayB's part about resurgance of NE forests before too. All those trees out there are soooo cute, they're just like real trees but smaller. You know, kind of like the mountains.

New England in general is not nearly as paved as a Westerner might assume. I've heard JayB's part about resurgance of NE forests before too. All those trees out there are soooo cute, they're just like real trees but smaller. You know, kind of like the mountains.

Yup. Pretty uninspiring unless you're from Iowa.

No wilderness here until you get a ways up into Maine.

There's still some areas of the Adirondaks that are as 'wilderness' as anything in the west. Wilderness is going, going, gone. Some areas are as girdletraversed as could be though....

My grandfather (Bill Coe) was a marine in a ditch in the Western Front (pretty much Belgium).

I asked him once " What was WW1 like"?

He paused for quite some time, staring into the distance. Finally he says in a quiet voice which carried the weight of finality: "horrible".

End of conversation.

Guess he didn't want to discuss the ditch rats eating his dead buddies who were lying in the excrement of the ditch, rotting, while he watched.

Has anybody anywhere ever really figured out what got that bastard Woodrow Wilson, the "peace candidate", to commit so many good lives to what was clearly a ghastly horror show?

Has anybody anywhere ever really figured out what got that bastard Woodrow Wilson, the "peace candidate", to commit so many good lives to what was clearly a ghastly horror show?

The thought of fucking ending it you stupid SOB? madgo_ron.gif

Clearly we would have been less reprehensibel feeding the beasts of hell and profiting

The promotion of democracy. The theory being democracies don't wage war on each other. A good book to read about WW1 is the "Guns of August."

I read a great book "WWI" by John Keegan - When you read about French troops marching 25+ miles a day in worse than sh*tty boots, carrying 70+ lbs on thier backs through mud etc..., it's hard to feel too hardcore about ultralight cascade mountaineering...not that I do anything that would be considered too hardcore in the first place...