Teaching jobs in Seattle?

BillA

Seattle has a very high % of private school utilization.

Seattle schools have a bad reputation and a history of consistently poor management.

100% of the families I knew living in Seattle & using the same day care as my kids either chose private schools or moved out of Seattle the summer before their first child started K.

Edited by Peter_Puget

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seattle schools have a bad reputation and a history of consistently poor management.

100% of the families I knew living in Seattle & using the same day care as my kids either chose private schools or moved out of Seattle the summer before their first child started K.

Over half of the kids in North Seattle attend private schools. Of course the irony is that once the higher income/lower needs kids leave the public system, the per student costs increase as you contend with more immigrant ( ESL), special ED, 509s, and others...

I teach in Wenatchee and my wife teaches in Leavenworth. They're actually losing teachers every year because their enrollment is going down. New familiies cannot afford to move to Leavenworth but retirees and second-home owners can. In Wenatchee there are not new positions opening up but I'm sure that as enrollment goes up (hottest housing market in the state) we'll be hiring more teachers in the near future.

rbwen

Over half of the kids in North Seattle attend private schools. Of course the irony is that once the higher income/lower needs kids leave the public system, the per student costs increase as you contend with more immigrant ( ESL), special ED, 509s, and others...

Actually Seattle has the same percentage of kids going to private school as many of the east side communities including Bellevue. Seems that there is always a percentage that want the private thing. And you're correct -the private schools don't serve the same populations regarding ESL, special education, family income, family structure and support, among others. Public schools definately face greater challenges, and those in less affluent communities have the greatest challenges.

Edited by Jim