Good backpacking suggestion for memorial day?

OlympicMtnBoy

Ok, so it's not climbing, but I want to take my girlfriend out backpacking over memorial day cause she doesn't get many three day weekends. I didn't think of this soon enough or I would have made a reservation out on the Olympic coast. Any suggestions for a nice mellow 3 day trip with NO SNOW (girlfriend is averse to cold) and no reservations required. Is there any place in BC with nice long beach hikes?

- OMB

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sauk Mountain... easy approach and a damn nice lake to hang out beside. If'n that doesn't work.. Boston Basin approach isn't all that easy but the basin is so great. Nice place to hang out. Need permit though. Not really a big deal as long as you get to the ranger station early. The views and great place should take the heat off your ass......

You could grab the ferry to Victoria, drive up the west coast towards sook, camp at China Beach which is a governmant camp site which is beautiful, on the ocean, next day do a day trip to Mystic beach or head up to port Renfrew and go to Botanical beach which is fantastic. Very mellow, very few people and it will probably have a "happy ending"

You could do a valley hike in the Olympics, though if you want to avoid snow it will be an "up and back" hike. The Duckabush is nice, the N. Fork Quinnault doesn't see much traffic, and Queets probably even less because you have to ford the river at the start.

Hey Treetoad, do you know any spots we could hike in and camp up there? Mattp, I'm thinking that might be my backup plan. I haven't been up the Quinnault since 1999, and I've never been up the Queets. How do you think the ford would be with the big snowpack melting?

Thanks everyone for your suggestions, except that Erica chick. I'm gonna leave her for Oly, my GF reads pretty well.

Mt Arrowsmith is great. The turn off from the highway is about 2'5 hours then an easy 3/4 of an hour logging road drive to various routes up to the alpine. One well used route is the Saddle route up to a nice col to camp on. Most of the trails up are through nice mature second growth fir. They are fairly well flagged. There is a really spectacular ridge walk to the summit with a bit of exposure in one section. The views from up there are really nice.

http://www3.telus.net/Mount_Arrowsmith/

There are other ranges further north that would require more time to get to but in May or June you would have them entirely to yourself. Check out this site for information on a few of them.

http://members.shaw.ca/beyondnootka/

If you want any specific information drop me a pm.

Thanks Treetoad, that looks nice up there. I definately need to head up and do more hiking there. I think this time we're gonna head to the coast though. I didn't realize they didn't have quotas on the south coast hike from Oil City to La Push, so we're going to brave the crowds. My girlfriend likes that beach and relatively flat hikes, hehehe. Is anyone else heading to the coast and might be interested in doing a car shuttle or giving us a ride one way or the other this weekend?