[TR] New Zealand's Best Climbing Spots - Photos

Photo essay of a week-long trip around the South Island.

Castle Hill/Elephant Rocks/Paynes Ford/Charleston

4427Day_one_003.jpg

4427Day_one_022.jpg

4427Day_two_011.jpg

4427Day_two_012.jpg

Chronicles of Narnia Filmed here:

4427Day_two_067.jpg

4427Day_two_154.jpg

Arthur's Pass National Park - Avalanche Peak

4427Day_two_198.jpg

4427Day_two_202.jpg

4427Day_two_217.jpg

The tropical North

4427Day_three_032.jpg

4427Day_three_168.jpg

4427Day_three_135.jpg

4427Day_three_176.jpg

4427Day_three_197.jpg

Ocean Cragging

4427Day_four_016.jpg

The route "Shark's Breakfast"

4427Day_four_044.jpg

4427Day_four_059.jpg

wave.gifcool.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Keas are edible but they are bloody chewy (I proved this during my university days). I came across an old bushman's recipe for cooking kea - "pluck or skin the bird, place in large pot, cover with water, place large rock on kea to hold under water, boil for 3 hours, then throw away the kea and eat the rock".

Yes, Keas are edible but they are bloody chewy (I proved this during my university days). I came across an old bushman's recipe for cooking kea - "pluck or skin the bird, place in large pot, cover with water, place large rock on kea to hold under water, boil for 3 hours, then throw away the kea and eat the rock".

Mmm... Kea-flavored rock.

So how do you get off of "Shark's Breakfast"? Do you continue upwards or right around the corner? Reverse the route?

And why is that one picture black/white on the right side and color on the left?

So how do you get off of "Shark's Breakfast"? Do you continue upwards or right around the corner? Reverse the route?

And why is that one picture black/white on the right side and color on the left?

You are commited to going straight up that wide crack/chimney to the top. It's about 25m and graded 17/5.8.

4427Day_four_081.jpg

I suppose maybe you could wait until low tide and then rap off some gear to the rocks...

The picture is like that because I thought it looked cooler.

John, Dru's right about that crack. It was too hard for me to work out the crazy boulder start thing, and the crack is so greasy it wont hold cams at first, so when I tried to A0 my way past the bouldery roof, my piece ripped out and I fell on my butt. grin.gif

I'll ask the same question of this last photo that I asked in your gallery: Is it my imagination, or is that chimney completely unprotected from the leader to the belayer? Can you say Factor 2? blah blah blah...

Bold... but yikes!

I'll ask the same question of this last photo that I asked in your gallery: Is it my imagination, or is that chimney completely unprotected from the leader to the belayer? Can you say Factor 2? blah blah blah...

Bold... but yikes!

There's a piece in by my left foot crazy.gif

Rain + Wind + Easy climbing = climb fast I guess...

• 3 weeks later...

Bold... but yikes!

There's a piece in by my left foot crazy.gif

Rain + Wind + Easy climbing = climb fast I guess...

Butt Shot! moon.gifyelrotflmao.gif