Jetboil stove

Marko

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seen the new pot? 2.5 L capacity.

I haven't used them in cold weather... nothing below 0 F but them seem to do well at least above 0 F.

They are much easier to light/ignite if you use the jetboil brand canister.

If you can wait a month Marcus took one to the Ruth Gorge... he should have an opinion when he gets back.

Humm... Yes not exactly something for melting a lot of snow in. Pity. If they made the same base but for a larger pot it might be really good.

Doh... So it looks like they do. 1.5l is still a bit on the small side for melting dry snow. I usually use a 2l just to get more snow in it.

Edited by Ade

If you preheat the pot by filling it with hot water, it will melt snow faster.

If I had hot water I wouldn't need a stove now would I? confused.gif

More interestingly if you compare the stats for an MSR Pocket Rocket and Jetboil they don't seem to be much different.

I think the selling point w/ the jetboil is weight... you want efficiency go XKG

But according to the numbers on MSRs site it's no lighter and doesn't boil more water or any faster. A Pocket Rocket + pan is about 400g, the jetboil comes in at over 500g. The only thing is seems to be better at is it'll boil more water per cylinder so I guess for long trips you can save weight.

Can't say I'm entirely convinced.

Ade

You want to save weight, try losing 5 pounds instead of worrying about 100g.

No shit. Really?

I'm not trying to save weight. But their marketing department is telling me their stove is better and lighter than the competition and I just don't see it.

I used one in sub-freezing last weekend. About 20 deg maybe. Although not real cold, it performed awesomely. The pot that came with mine was just a tad short for filling a Nalgene. Other than that, the snow was dry but I got water remarkably fast. I recommend buying an extra long spoon for this one.

all in all, i was very impressed.

Alex

It's difficult to compare boil times between the Jetboil and other stoves as well. The standard lab boil test involves boiling a liter of water and the J'boil holds a half liter.

I did the standard lab test with the J'boil and a number of other stoves, adjusting the water amount to a half liter in all stoves, and the J'boil was not the fastest, but it was competitive. I did not replicate the test in the field, nor did I do the fuel efficiency tests.

Granted, it wasn't that cold when we were camped below Eldorado, but it seemed that the insulated "pot" that came with my pal's heated up really fast, and the insulator kept the fluid warm for a really long time. I guess if you really believed in it, you could have your partner buy another insulated "pot" for it to carry themselves, and you could heat up individual goods. One thing that is nice is that those little canisters fit really well inside it's own rig, and I think two of them will fit. Just thoughts tongue.gif

So I went and bought one and used it up in the hills the other night (~20°F). Kinda cool all unitized and all. It'll be a great hanging stove. Seemed similar in cool weather performance to the old Pocket Rocket. Pot's OK if you're not in a hurry melting snow, but sucks if you're used to a 2 liter pot.

Then I took it home and did a battle of the stoves boiling ice blocks. Attached are the results in an Excel spreadsheet.

Basically, in spite of the better efficiency of canister stoves, I'm taking the old tried and true Whisperlight up to Alaska again.

Blaze on,

Mark

559818-Stovecomparisons.xls