Hot Springs suggestions in BC

Squid

I'm thinking about planning a w/e trip where I can put on my Hawaiian shirt and Bermuda shorts and go lounging among the hot springs of BC.

The hot springs in Tofino sounds nice; does anyone have any feedback about it?

Any suggestions about other BC (or even WA) hotsprings?

yoda.gif <--(squid, post-soak)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hotsprings near Tofino - I take it you are talking about Hot Springs Cove - is not a place for Bermuda shorts and floral patterned shirts. Not this time of year at least. That place is hard to get to. You gotta either take a seaplane or go on a long boat ride through potentially rough waters (open pacific).

I went out there one thanksgiving during a rainy weekend and found it quite rustic, basically non-existent while we were there. The spring comes out of the earth just a couple dozen yeards from the ocean and runs overground until dropping over a rock back into the ocean. Here is where people build up little "pools" out of rocks in the intertidal zone. I've heard the pools can be quite nice, especially with the cold ocean water splashing up once in a while. But, the high tide wipes out the pools and they must be rebuilt afterwards. When my wife and I were there it was pissing freezing rain, there were no pools, and we shivered for a while underneath a dripping luke-warm stream before deciding it was not worth it and heading to the Indian village further toward the mouth of the cove. That night is stormed like hell - darkest stormiest night I've ever experienced - and we took the local supercharged aluminum boat "taxi" back to Tofino through 20 foot swells. It was quite an adventure, but definetely not flip flop and bermuda friendly.

If you're looking for rustic but nice, try Goldmier hotsprings up the middle fork of the snoqualmie (north of alpental by air). That place rockband.gif

I've heard some place in Oregon (brightenbush ?) is nice, but developed and $$.

When is somebody going to redevelop Scenic? That place was sweet in the winter - soaking surrounded by mounds of deep pow pow.

Nice feedback - thanks!

Tofino sounds interesting in part because of the approach, but I hadn't realized how high it scored on the crap-0-meter during bad weather.

Goldmier is a good standby, but I was hoping for something a little further afield, hopefully could be combined with an end-of-trip stop in Vancouver for sushi.

there is a B&B operated out of a ship permanently (most of the times) docked at the entrance to Hot Spring Cove. The ship is called "The Enchanter", however, I can't seem to find the website for it (I can find it if anyone really want to know). The guy who own and run it is a very interesting fella and is a character. I think he charges $100 CDN per night?

The hot spring itself is a 10-15 minute walk from the dock (all the boats and float planes land here). It will only be luke warm at best during extented periods of rain (like now). the water itself has a tiny bit of sulpher smell and lots of algae floting in it.

it is quite an effort to get out there, but if you do, it's worth staying on the ship for a day or two. just go when the rain stops.

You're right about the boat at the dock. I checked the place out and decided not to stay there. Yeah, it's technically a B&B, but it's a boat and the rooms are tiny and you are forced to hang out with the dot-commer that runs the thing. No thanks.

There is a first nation village across from the dock (a local will come and get you) and they have a small motel - really cheap, lots of room, a kitchenette, and they'll ferry you across to the other side for things like going to the springs or picking up the plane. I'd rather support the first nation than some millionaire with boat.

Sorry, I don't have pics.

If you're looking for rustic but nice, try Goldmier hotsprings up the middle fork of the snoqualmie (north of alpental by air). That place rockband.gif

For information on Goldmyer: www.goldmyer.org

When is somebody going to redevelop Scenic? That place was sweet in the winter - soaking surrounded by mounds of deep pow pow.
It has been redeveloped by its new owner, but it is still private property and visitors must have permission to enter. The owner hopes to eventually get a permit to open it to the public. Scenic is NOT open to the public. For more information: http://scenichotsprings.blogspot.com/

In my opinin, Hot Springs Cove is one of the best hot springs around. I've been there twice, once hitching a ride with some native fisherman, and another time getting there via Kayak. The paddling along the outer coast of Flores Island, on the way there, was very exciting. Both were summer trips, and it was very pleasant.

In the Lillooet river valley, which starts in an icefield northwest of Whistler and runs down to the Fraser, there are something like 70 thermal sites that have been mapped by BC Hydro or somebody. The Meager Creek Hot Springs, northwest of Pemberton, used to be a very nice, albeit popular (crowded at times) place. I am not sure of the current status (there have been some health-related closures and gate issues). Another one I've been to is further downriver, 34 miles below the town of Mt. Currie, near BC Hydro tower 682 on the main Lillooet trunk road. Last time I was there a bunch of yahoos had Led Zepplin XIX playing at loud volumes and there was a pile of beer cans three feet high but if you didn't mind the melee, it was OK.

More like a dozen than 70

Only Meager Creek, Keyhole Falls, Skookumchuck and Sloquet are worth going to.

You might be able to get to Skookumchuck (the one with the beer cans) if the road is plowed. You definitely won't be able to get to Meager or Keyhole until May (35 km ski up gated road plus bridge is out) and Sloquet won't be accessible until April at the earliest for similar reasons.

Tofino sounds interesting in part because of the approach, but I hadn't realized how high it scored on the crap-0-meter during bad weather.

It scores high enough that there's a thriving industry built around it - the winter weather in Tofino is so bad it's good, and people book "storm-watching" holidays to experience it. All the hotels and B&Bs along the shoreline have come to rely on truly appalling weather to stay profitable during the "off" season.

It actually sounds pretty appealing - curl up on the sofa in front of a fireplace in a little shack with big windows facing the Pacific, and just hunker down inside watching all Hell break loose outside. Just be careful if you go for a walk along the shore - people get swept off the rocks by the waves from time to time, and your chances of survival would be slim to none.

I can see how this idea was borne, "ok guys heres the plan: were gonna charge people to come to our cabin where you have to stay inside cause its so shitty outside that if you went out you could die."

Whenever I come up with brilliant ideas like that I get shot down.

FYI... King County has closed the Middle Fork road about 15 miles below the Goldmyer ford because of road damage, probably due to rain and saturated soils. The closure is close to the double wide cement bridge.

Yo Toast, where did you find that info? I looked at the MBSNF website and couldn't find any details.

When you say "double wide cement bridge", are you talking about the Dingford Ck bridge? That's the one right after the TH a ways up from the cutoff by Taylor River.

At Hot Springs Cove, I camped in the next nearby cover once, and down at the boat dock the other time because my Kayak friends didn't like the landing in the cove. The boat dock is maybe a mile up the inlet, and the village and resort are accross the water from there. Lots of marine and bird life keeps you entertained.

Almost nobody else was around on one trip, and people were there but it never got crowded or anything the second. Nobody else was camping there either time. And, being August, we had nice weather.

One night we sat in one of the lower pools, with cold water rushing in and hot draining out after each wave came in. All with a heavy dose of Phosphorescence. thumbs_up.gif

My favorite of the Washington hot springs I have been to is the Little Wind River, down in the Columbia Gorge. It is maybe a half mile walk up the river bed to get to it, and the springs are IN the river bed, so I bet it isn't a good bet right now. Carson Mineral Springs, a funky old resort nearby (emphasis on funky) is Great with a capital "G." Go for the baths, hot towel wrap, and massage. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif