Cassin Gear?

ATCR1

Cassin just came out with a new line of mountaineering axes such as the x-tour and x-pro. Does anyone know where you can purchase Cassin gear in the states? I have talked to shops from Portland to NY and no luck, not even in stores from the UK. Someone must sell the stuff.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cassin.it/uk/contatti.asp

And ask for the US distributor. They will be able to direct you to a shop (if not, well, order from barrabes.com)

Thanks but i talked to the salesperson at Barrabes and they can not get the new Cassin gear. I also sent in the online request twice. Its been over 3 weeks and no replies. Looks like i'm back to zero. Any other suggestions?

www.climbaxe.com

Here in Portland, they're a distributor of their products. I don't know if they carry the new stuff, but it's a place to start out at.

Sorry- just saw that they've consolidated with Pagan Gear. If you search www.dexonline.com I'm sure you'd be able to find the number directly to their shop, here.

Edited by vw4ever

www.climbaxe.com

Here in Portland, they're a distributor of their products. I don't know if they carry the new stuff, but it's a place to start out at.

Thanks, I called them right before posting, and agin they are no longer distributers. Seems like no one carries the stuff, So how does Cassin saty in business.

Sorry- just saw that they've consolidated with Pagan Gear. If you search www.dexonline.com I'm sure you'd be able to find the number directly to their shop, here.

I have a cassin tool that I was looking to swith the adze out for a hammer and I can't find the peice anywhere... The products seem to be good, but they don't really seem to be sold in the states at all. Go with quarks. wink.gif

Oops, just saw your were looking for mountaineering axes... Quarks probably wont work so well for that. tongue.gif

Edited by sweatinoutliquor

I saw a bunch of Cassin camming devices at the Pacific Feather Company sale in November 2004. It was the first time I'd ever seen, let alone heard of Cassin cams. I wasn't very impressed, especially with the larger sizes which struck me as being so narrow as to be unstable.

1camsingle.jpg

Edited by catbirdseat

I'm starting to wonder how Cassin stays in business when no one sells their new products.

Mostly they sell cheap crappy gear in Europe to people who don't know any better. Cassin gear is generally junk. I too wonder how they stay in business but I can't understand why you would want to buy any?

Mostly they sell cheap crappy gear in Europe to people who don't know any better. Cassin gear is generally junk. I too wonder how they stay in business but I can't understand why you would want to buy any?

of all the sweet gear out there you want this....

Hey, thanks for the specifics. You forgot to mention that their gear is icky and stupid and dumb...rolleyes.gif

Their cams are probably the worst current generation cams I have used. Narrow, uncomfortable, springs too stiff.

Ah, that's more like it.

Since the original post was asking about axes, I have to say that I have a Cassin Ghost and it's pretty nice. All aluminum construction, but oddly so is the axe head. Super light and a great axe for doing the whole light and fast thing.

If you need something that will last on an extended trip, I would take something else though (with some steel parts).

I'm starting to wonder how Cassin stays in business when no one sells their new products.

I have seen several reviews of their new gear (mountain axes, not cams and stuff, but thanks anyway people) Online at climbing, rock and ice, also several reviews elswhere and their new stuff specifically the X-class of mountaineering axes and they are supposed to function exceptionally well. I'm not about buying just because thats what everyone else has. If it works great, if not then its crap, but i have had black diamond and Grivel, both supposed to be great name brands and i hated them both. BD quality was shit in my opinion, and the grivel couldn't hold an edge to save its life, oh and it rusted after every trip. So i decided to give Cassin a try. If its crap then thats what it is, and i'll return it, but alot of good stuff comes from lesser names, just my 2 cents though.

I got a cassin lightweight axe something like 7 years ago and I really like it. It had a metal head. Forgot the name but i got it at marmot in bellevue. Can't speak for current models.

What was wrong with the BD models?

And the grivel models had some rust? That doesn't mean it is a bad tool as it doesn't affect the strength or life of the tool. Only superficial. I got the pamir which is a very cool tool which did very well in alpine ice terrain.

Also, check out some charlet tools.

I got a cassin lightweight axe something like 7 years ago and I really like it. It had a metal head. Forgot the name but i got it at marmot in bellevue. Can't speak for current models.

I'm not saying they were bad tools, i just was not happy with them. For the price paid in relation to other models, the protective coating on the pick should not wear off after just 2 uses. I have a REI axe that is about 6 yrs old, I have never really taken care of it because its a backup and a loaner. And it looks and handles almost like new, with dozens of summits and yrs of abuse. I was just trying to make a point thats all. This thread was to find Cassin retailers not bash Cassin which some have chosen to do. Anyway thanks for everyone who did provide constructive feedback. Camp usa huh? i'll give them a try. Oh and glad to hear some of you did like your Cassin axes.

What was wrong with the BD models?

And the grivel models had some rust? That doesn't mean it is a bad tool as it doesn't affect the strength or life of the tool. Only superficial. I got the pamir which is a very cool tool which did very well in alpine ice terrain.

Also, check out some charlet tools.