• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
rbwen

Phoenix Area Climbing?

The wife and I are heading to Phoenix in February for 3-4 days. Any recommended places to climb? We've been to Queen Creek, Mt. Lemmon, and Jack's Canyon so leave those out. We're looking for any day trips from PHX.

Thanks! rbwen

Where's bcollins! He was really talking up Arizona climbing. There is a lot to do there. He showed me some long multipitch routes in a guide book.

Chuck's link above also references Granite Mountain near Prescott, which will need sun in February to be warm enough but is a wonderful multipitch granite location with routes of all grades and great ambience. Try to find the routes with sandbag ratings..... hahaha.gif

The Pit (for sport) and The Overlook (for trad) near Flagstaff are two good day trips from Phoenix, I used to drive it from Tempe. I'd recomend the Pit for more in the sun climbing during winter, it's limestone like Jacks and has moderate to super hard routes. Plus it's right by Priest Draw with some super cool bouldering.

How about Camelback Mt.? I just found out we're staying right near there. Anything worthwhile?

rbwen

How about Camelback Mt.? I just found out we're staying right near there. Anything worthwhile?

rbwen

I believe there are routes on Camelback mountain, however, the rock is really not that inspiring. I would recommend Pinnancle Peak on the north end of town. For not too far of a drive you get Joshua Tree-like granite with some pretty nice formations.

rbwen

Aw, it's not that bad. Take a 60m rope. If you have a limited amount of time, it works, it's close and in the city. Try the Monk. There's some 5.8's bolted. The top is nice to hang out on. For a local crag, it does the job. Beware though, it gets a bit crowded and the tourists flock to the area to "climb" to the top of Camelback. You can get some bouldering too. Pick up Phoenix Rock (title?). Otherwise, the McDowells are really nice and you have the Pinnacles on the other side of town. smile.gif

It gets pretty cold up in the hills. There are plenty of good sit-starts at the Beardsley boulder pile (NW Phoenix) and the locals will be happy to sandbag you.

The monk @ Camelback is worth the trip, good view, fun route and rapell. Other routes exist, but it's pretty sketchy rock. There is some OK bouldering there also. The last time I was a Beardsley it was questionable. Dirty, lots of glass, fences blocking stuff, but it was a while ago. Not recomended if you looking for a positive experience.

Thanks for all the beta. We had a great time in the sun. Almost forgot what that was like. TR to follow.

rbwen

Hell no! I'd quit before I move to "hell on earth".

I've been coming down here or San Diego during the week for work... should last into March or so...

Hello frequent flier miles wave.gif

What about Sherman's new spot...Tam O'Shanter? Anyone been there? The quartzite looks pretty bomber and fun. It is mostly a sport area. C.H. gave me a copy of the guide which I have looked through, but have not been there. The routes go from 5.4 to 5.13+. There are 89 routes listed as of last August. It's 20 miles S.E. of Oak Flats. I don't know if the guide is available online or not. There is no website listed in it. John Sherman would be the guy to get in touch with.