Why Are We Rich and White?

Blake

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we left out the "Overwhelmingly male" part of the equation as well. Hopefully someone will chime in on the gender-disparity in climbing as a clear manifestation society's tendency to blah, blah, blah, blah, victimhood, blah, sexism, blah, blah, patriarchy, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc.

I don't see that many black folk in the mountains. Part of it is becuase the population in Seattle area is mostly white. But you know, half the population is women and I don't see 50% of the outdoorsy folk being women.

So I chalk it up to less interest by black people and by women to be in the outdoors. Maybe it is a genetic thing that the white male is predisposed for more physical challenges.

That's nice my little ethnic friend.

Thank you for your contribution.

Now run along and let us white people discuss these grown-up issues.

You're no friend of mine, oppressor!

Seriously though, it seems like this is a trend in many outdoor sports. At least in the professional ranks, the majority of skiers, snowboarders, mountain bikers, road bikers, etc. are white. Either Euro or North American. I can't think of a reason other than economics.

I'll buy economics for the professional ranks.

At the dilettante level, things are a little less lilly white. The bouldering fields of Squish for example- a fair representation of Asians & Hispanics, but that just makes the absence of black people more pronounced. I know a hell of a lot of climbers, and I can count the black climbers I know on one hand.

I know the article that AlpineK is talking about, and participated in the last discussion that we had about this issue on the site. Maybe someone can look that one up.

On the class front, I'd say that if your job involves physical hardships and/or risk or both in the outdoors, the odds are that you won't want to spend your spare time engaged in activities that involve either. If you couldn't motivate yourself to set difficult goals and achieve them in your personal or professional life - the odds are pretty good that you aren't going to engage in recreation that requires either. If you come from a culture or situation where going without food or heat is something that happends when you run out of money, the odds are good that you aren't going to engage in activities that involve either for fun.

Edit - found the Outside article.

http://outside.away.com/outside/magazine/1297/9712solo.html

Ok, Jay, you're not interested. No need to be a jackass.

Shhh. He'd prefer to mock something so he doesn't have to confront potentially disturbing thoughts such as "perhaps a free-market doesn't cure all ills"

Yes - tell me how it is in the hood, brother. yelrotflmao.gif