commuting

olyclimber

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you've existing equity or an executive salary, or desire menial service work you will have to commute.

Bull. Never have and never will.

Luna--that's a fine choice. Somedays I am envious but all the costs of living in the city....financial and soul....don't make up for it(imo). Working in Bot-hell for the moment, i can say w/o reservation that there's no way I'd willingly live here.

Previous commute, 1998 to 2003: three minutes by bicycle. I rode home for lunch most days.

Current commute, 2003 to present: three different jobs, varying between 50 miles/one hour to 186 miles/three hours. The worst is Seattle to Ilwaco, WA, 177.5 miles including 72 miles of two-lane, winding Hwy 101 stuck behind logging trucks in the rain. And yes, I chose to quit the job 3 minutes away to take the jobs 3 hours away.

The advantage is that the shifts I commute to are 24 to 48 hours long. Six hours driving to 48 hours of work is sort of like driving half an hour one way to an 8 hour workday, or maybe a little better since much of the driving I do is more scenic than city traffic.

When I work in Sunnyside, I can't swing a 24 or 48 hour shift there, but instead work a series of 12's (two or three) and stay at the inn across the street, expenses paid. Less than ideal, but the pay is good enough to make it worthwhile, at least once a month. One of my colleagues at Sunnyside drives there from Point Roberts, which he tells me is five hours' drive. He also works shifts in Salem, OR which is six and a half hours one way.

At this point, my commuting miles add up to about 20K per year: tolerable, but a lot more than I'd like. I'm always on the lookout for a closer job.

I've considered moving, but the family is not keen on it. Also I'd have to whittle the work down to just one place, since right now the three places are all in different directions from Seattle.

California - Lancaster to Edwards AFB (51 miles each way)

That takes what 35-40 minutes? yellaf.gif

Depends. One of the vehicles we carpooled in was a 64 VW Camper bus. We affectionately called it "The Bullet Train." In a headwind on the way home, it topped out at 45 mph. Coupled with the obligatory beer stop in Rosamond, that could be a 75 - 90 minute commute. Usually an hour covered it, especially if the MP's were being nice.