let's hear it...

RuMR

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was the advice "Don't fall because you're scared of falling"

This is so true! You can hang on way after you think you are going to peel. I find gym climbing helps me here, as I learn precisely how long i can hold onto a certain hold.

Also, being able to find a centering routine, where when I feel pumped out, or I'm in over my head, to smile, relax, and say hello to fear and accept it, get some gear in, and continue! Calling "take" can be so tempting once you get that gear in but you know you can keep going! thumbs_up.gif

Another piece of advice I got from a good climber was while climbing Blackened at Smith. I thought I was going to whip off of it on some small (for me) holds, and he shouts up "those holds feel just as crappy for 5.12 climbers, so you might as well stop screwing around on them trying to make them something they are not, and keep climbing!"

I tried yoga, and magically, not only did it not help my climbing, but rendered me incapeable of walking cause it screwed up my back so much.

I suck at climbing anyway, but the best thing for me has been getting out on the "real" rock more, and away from plastic taped holds. Pulling plastic helps to a certian degree (especially learning to center as cc says above), but I think it unteaches you how to read the rock. Wish I lived closer to a crag though...

Another thing that helped me in the past (and this years) is to lead at every opportunity. Lead easier routes instead of TR'ing harder ones. Hell, lead harder ones that protect well or are bolted well. TR'ing routes does some good for technique but nothing gets your head where it's supposed to be for climbing better than leading, and it's all about the head games up to a certain grade.

Wow, guess I had a lot to say here huh?

I sometimes link all the v2's together regardless of the tape color. that way whenever I come across a harder brown taped problem I don't freeze up and start to hyperventilate.

as for real rock, I discovered that supersized tick marks vs. the normal size tick marks improved my climbing significantly.

it's all about the head games up to a certain grade.

Oops...bigdrink.gif Anyway, I think it's still a mental game no matter how hard the route is. True that difficulty can seem to take over more at higher grades but it's even more mentally challenging to make your body go for worse moves on smaller/harder holds. For me what made a difference was climbing with people who would push me harder in a good way. Exapmle "Let's see who can redpoint 10 new 5.12s (or whatever) this season." To me it's more fun to try harder if you have a motivated partner. Oh yeah, real rock makes you climb harder. Gym 5.12 is way easier than rock 5.12, go outside more!

Here's a different answer:

Overtraiing in the gym, and generally over-climbing without rest days for a few years, essentially developing chronic tendinitis in the elbows which plagues me to this day . . . . don't be dumb like me.

200mg of ibuprophen 3x day; ice; rest.

Given enough time, the tendons's swelling will recede enough that you will only be bothered occasionally (usually when you trigger it by repetative movement, no warm-up, etc--you already know all that stuff).

I used to have tendonitis so bad I could hardly brush my teeth. I winced any time I had to move my arms. It took two years of very careful treatment, but I am hardly ever bothered now. You've probably heard about diet-influenced inflamation as well--it may be worth your while to explore this if you have not already done so.

Tendonitis sucks, my heart goes out to you!!!

Here's a different answer:

Overtraiing in the gym, and generally over-climbing without rest days for a few years, essentially developing chronic tendinitis in the elbows which plagues me to this day . . . . don't be dumb like me.

a few years ago I tweaked a rotator cuff playing volleyball and they put me on 600mg naproxen (stuff that's in Aleve) twice a day for 3 weeks, and of course complete rest. Did wonders and felt fine when I was done. Use the same technique for tendinitis in my left wrist every now and again. THat shit truly sucks though! For those of you with creaky fingers, be nice now or pay triple for it later. frown.gif

diet-influenced inflamation

link?

or are we just talking fat overeaters who try to climb and trash their tendons?

There is a lot of talk about inflamatory reactions and autoimmune-related issues being related to possible food reactions. Usually, soy and gluten are pointed out as big factors; but fortunately, there are many foods mentioned that do the opposite and are suggested to be included in your diet.

Google will provide lots of links for you; do a search and you will find many interesting hypothoses about diet's impact on your tendons and joints. I have tried following a couple of different regimens to alleviate discomfort from tendonitis and arthritis. I don't know if I believe the stuff 100%; but it doesn't do me any harm to experiment with some folks' recommondations (i.e. by removing soy from my diet for 6 months, eating more cayanne pepper to reduce inflamation, or something equally simple and straightforward) to see if there is a difference.