Rove Conspiracy Theory

mattp

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it involves the "real" Saddam who is living in Mississippi. Not the fake one that's on trial in Iraq. And ya know, the Japanese Mafia are the only ones that really know this, and that's why they're steering those hurricanes down there, trying to get him.

Oops... I'm stealing olyclimber's surprise.

I think it involves the "real" Saddam who is living in Mississippi. Not the fake one that's on trial in Iraq. And ya know, the Japanese Mafia are the only ones that really know this, and that's why they're steering those hurricanes down there, trying to get him.

Oops... I'm stealing olyclimber's surprise.

That reminds me, I need to quit my job so I can pursue this theory full time. Too bad I'm not a meteorologist!

I have to admit, the part about the cabal of corrupt oil-men on the take influencing foreign policy in the lead-up to the war was actually right on.

Tip of the Iceberg....

If you're looking to smear the U.N., fine, but if you're looking to bolster any argument for war or show that the U.S. was frustrated by the failure of the sanctions, I don't think you want to look under that iceberg, Jay.

Our own Congressional committee has found that the US was complicit in the evasions of the Iraq sanctions, and in fact blocked at least some U.N. efforts to intervene with the illegal trade with Jordan; also, most of the money that was funneled to Saddam came from us. In additin, we knew about the kickbacks but here, too, declined to intervene.

The U.N. is one thing, the actions of diplomats and various bureaucrats who work there is another. I just think it's funny as hell that the same people who are still convinced that the invasion of Iraq had its sole origins private conspiracy to enrich oil companies and large-scale contractors, despite the absence of any factual evidence whatsoever to base such a claim on, are still perseverating about that while absolutely ignoring the extensively documented corruption and bribery that occured within the ranks of the principal opponents of the invasion.

If the US failed to address shortcomings in the program, that's regrettable, but accepting what appear to be intractable problems while maintaining a no fly-zone and single-handedly supplying the political will necessary to keep the sanctions in place is one thing, and perpetually arguing on Saddam's behalf while officials in your government are accepting bribes from him in return for this service is quite another.

I could go on swapping competing bits of minutia about the war for quite a while, but I just don't have the time anymore. If you get lonely, feel free to search through my old posts and paste in a response to whatever aspect of the war is under discussion....

Jay: you're speaking nonsense. First of all, it is very had to argue that, at the root of it, this war was not about oil. You've put up a good fight, though. Clearly and undeniably, oil is what makes the entire region of strategic import. Our specific motives in this case may have been one or two steps removed from taking over the oil fields but I use the word "may" and I haven't seen anybody pose a plausible alternate motivation except, perhaps, to establish more military presence in the region if we have to move out of Saudia Arabia soon. Whether somebody was trying to boost share prices in their stock portfolio or something? I'm not sure I'd take it that far, but clearly that horseh*t coming out of Washington in the run-up to the war, and since, was just that.

Your second point is equally ridiculous. Who is arguing there wasn't corruption in the U.N. administered oil for food program? And what is the significance of this, in the context of any argument about why we went to war or whether it was a good idea?

Your third point? I'm not really sure what it was. Who was arguing on Saddam's behalf, and what did it have to do with bribes? The French said they weren't convinced he had nuclear weapons or posed a signficant threat, that an invasion would not aid any war on terrorism, and that it might well lead to greater instability in the region. It looks like they were right. Do you think THEY were bribed to argue on Saddam's behalf?