Pernod wine?

layton

so i've had all the wines of the wine spires 'cept Pernod and can't seem to find it anywhere on google? is pernod an old brand name out of production, or a type of grape, or what???

I NEED to find out pretty darn soon. i'd tell you why, but i'd spoil the surprise.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike, one of the modern conveniences is Wikipedia, which is easy used like a dictionary by going to google (and probably most other search engines) and submitting wikipedia: subject where "subject" is what you're interested in. While you shouldn't always assume that its an authorative source, there is a lot of good information...its like a modern encyclopedia.

In this case, "wikipedia: pernod" divulges the information linked here, which answers your question.

more wikipedia:

Pastis is an anise-flavored liqueur and aperitif from France, typically containing 40-45% alcohol by volume, although there exist alcohol-free varieties.

When absinthe was banned in France in 1915, the major absinthe producers (then Pernod and Ricard, who have since merged as Pernod Ricard) reformulated their drink without the banned wormwood component, creating pastis, which remains popular in France today.

Pastis is normally diluted with water before drinking (generally 5 volumes of water for 1 volume of pastis). The resulting decrease in alcohol percentage causes some of the constituents to become insoluble, which changes the liqueur's appearance from dark transparent yellow to milky soft yellow. The drink is consumed cold, with ice, and is considered a refreshment for hot days. Ice cubes should be added after the water to avoid crystallization of the pastis.

Although it is consumed throughout France, especially in the summer, pastis is generally associated with southeastern France, especially with the city of Marseille, and with the clichés of the Provençal lifestyle, like pétanque.

Related drinks are anisette, ouzo and raki.

Mike,

There's a place by my work that sells all kinds of beer and weird wines. I'll take a look on my lunch break and let you know.

it's not a wine ... it's a "Liqueur" ... some local liquor stores have carried the Pernod 45 in the past, I've yet to find the Ricard 51

it is it very common to cut it half and half with water, mixed with crème d' mint it is called a "parrot" with grenadine it is known as a "tomato"

Supper popular in southern France, particularly with the bull fighting crowds

I'm not sure, Mike, but I'm gonna guess that since Camillo's in Oregon, it must stand for something like Oregon Liquor Control Commission or something like that.

As you know, in Washington it's the WSLCB (Washington State Liquor Control Board), so I think it's just the state-run liquor store.

You should be able to just walk on in to any liquor store and ask for it by name. If they give you the "Huh?" look, tell them it's a French liqueur, it's clear, and it smells and tastes like licorice. It's a lot like Uzo and Sambucca.

OLCC.

Just a little ways down, on the right, there's a product list (I didn't link to it because it's a pdf). This is a list of all alcoholic beverages the OLCC allows to be sold in Oregon, as far as I know. This doesn't mean that every liquor store is going to have it in stock, but you can call and ask for it.

This is a list of all alcoholic beverages the OLCC allows to be sold in Oregon, as far as I know

Quibble from a lush who likes odd booze. It's a list of things OLCC normally stocks in it's warehouse. Often times restaurants special order booze and OLCC ends up with orphans (see orphans *.pdf) and liquor stores will end up with bottles not listed. Either that or they illegally import it - which is how I was able to get Virginia Gentleman bourbon in PDX.

Zinc a NW PDX place that closed (a year ago?) regularly stocked Pernod. They also had big gulp sized Sidecars.