Why....

lancegranite

Do I torture myself so?

Because we have seen "the other side of life" we are almost worse off, conforming to modern life's rules makes us bristle.

The thought of another day wasted working drives me to fits. I just want to climb!

PS: Mrs. G & me did manage to get out today...perfect temps and the lady led the hard pitches.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

always? you don't like what you day at all?

No job I've had yet give me the depth and variety of experiences that climbing, skiing or travelling does. I don't meet as many interesting people, I'm not challenged in the same ways, and there isn't the potential for failure. In short, no.

always? you don't like what you day at all?

No job I've had yet give me the depth and variety of experiences that climbing, skiing or travelling does. I don't meet as many interesting people, I'm not challenged in the same ways, and there isn't the potential for failure. In short, no.

I've only had one job that truly sucked. Took me a year to get out of there.

Do I torture myself so?

Because we have seen "the other side of life" we are almost worse off, conforming to modern life's rules makes us bristle.

The thought of another day wasted working drives me to fits. I just want to climb!

PS: Mrs. G & me did manage to get out today...perfect temps and the lady led the hard pitches.

Too bad your climbing addiction just perpetuates the situation. Maybe instead of whining about modern life and its evils you should quit contributing to it and get off the grid and move to Alaska and homestead or shut the fuck up.

when you see the scratch marks left in the granite at 10000' in the Sierra Nevada, left from immigrant wagon trains, you'll realize how easy we have it. no Big Gulps or air conditioning out there...

Heaven forbid we live in a world without material posessions rolleyes.gif

I've seen the wagon tracks, toured replicas of the Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery, and talked with my ancestors about what the did as immigrants. Materially we have it easy, which means those who've mastered materials are cheap. People who can write with a fountain pen and not smuge aren't valuable anymore. Nothing the like of the opening of the American West, Africa, or Asia will ever happen again. It all depends on what you want.

I've seen the wagon tracks, toured replicas of the Susan Constant, Godspeed and Discovery, and talked with my ancestors about what the did as immigrants. Materially we have it easy, which means those who've mastered materials are cheap. People who can write with a fountain pen and not smuge aren't valuable anymore. Nothing the like of the opening of the American West, Africa, or Asia will ever happen again.

mars.jpg

Do I torture myself so?

Too bad your climbing addiction just perpetuates the situation. Maybe instead of whining about modern life and its evils you should quit contributing to it and get off the grid and move to Alaska and homestead or shut the fuck up.

hahaha.gifYeah, Buddy! A man's gotta find his own way in the world! the_finger.gif

If there is a problem, you are always to blame. There is always something you can do to fix the problem, and you're the one that got yourself into the situation in the first place. Others might my be involved, but in the end you made the decisions that put you in the place you are at. Either learn to enjoy pain, or start running.

how easy I've got it compared to all of the generations before me.

All depends on what your skills are and what you want to do, doesn't it? We are after all highly relative creatures.

Vaccinations, sanitation, antibiotics, and a permanent agricultural surplus seal the deal for me.

Anything stopping you from dropping it all and trying your hand at subsistence farming in the third-world? Homesteading in Alaska?

Anything stopping you from dropping it all and trying your hand at subsistence farming in the third-world? Homesteading in Alaska?

We are highly relative creatures, who rationally will take the best available in a given situation. As I'm sure you know many of the societal advantages were available 50 or 100 years ago.

Up to now, we have considered the estrangement, the alienation of the worker, only from one aspect – i.e., the worker’s relationship to the products of his labour. But estrangement manifests itself not only in the result, but also in the act of production, within the activity of production itself. How could the product of the worker’s activity confront him as something alien if it were not for the fact that in the act of production he was estranging himself from himself? After all, the product is simply the resumé of the activity, of the production. So if the product of labour is alienation, production itself must be active alienation, the alienation of activity, the activity of alienation. The estrangement of the object of labour merely summarizes the estrangement, the alienation in the activity of labour itself.

Up to now, we have considered the estrangement, the alienation of the worker, only from one aspect – i.e., the worker’s relationship to the products of his labour. But estrangement manifests itself not only in the result, but also in the act of production, within the activity of production itself. How could the product of the worker’s activity confront him as something alien if it were not for the fact that in the act of production he was estranging himself from himself? After all, the product is simply the resumé of the activity, of the production. So if the product of labour is alienation, production itself must be active alienation, the alienation of activity, the activity of alienation. The estrangement of the object of labour merely summarizes the estrangement, the alienation in the activity of labour itself.

Jesus dude, which anthology of continental post-modern labor studies did you dredge that up from?