Forbidden

Jarred_Jackman

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the easiest way to descend the west ridge (if there is no snow on the NW face) is to rapp down onto the NW face to about the level of the notch. Then walk the 3rd class ledges back. You could also downclimb the west ridge which would be good if there isn't a ton of people coming up.

They say it's a couple of single rope rappels off the East side of the summit to a #rd class ledge system, which connects with the SE ridge and gives access to a snow gully back to the basin. But when I did it we downclimbed the W. Ridge, which was just as fun as climbing up.

quote:

Originally posted by pete a:

check the trip reports from a couple weeks ago. A couple parties (including a group I was in) made it up the west ridge. At the time the NW face still had tons of snow on it, and my party as well as the other we saw descended the west ridge via raps and simul-downclimbing...thats what I'd recommend. Photo from the trip I was on here:

Great pics. There is a hell of a lot more snow than when I was up there last year. Wow, what a difference [Eek!]

If you are not comfortable with walking down steep snow two ropes are handy for rapping the couloir. Less stations to set up. Lots of webbing hanging from boths sides of the walls.

One rope is suffient on the ridge, so leave the second rope at the start of the west ridge proper. Half of the ridge is 4th classish, so simul downclimbing works best on the moderate terrain. Other than that there's 2 or 3 pitches to rap on the ridge.

check the trip reports from a couple weeks ago. A couple parties (including a group I was in) made it up the west ridge. At the time the NW face still had tons of snow on it, and my party as well as the other we saw descended the west ridge via raps and simul-downclimbing...thats what I'd recommend. Photo from the trip I was on here:

http://www.jeffstreet.net/Climbing/2002-06-15%20%20Forbidden%20Peak/tripreport_selected_photos.htm

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

Can anyone tell me how much snow might be on the East Ridge Direct route? Thanks.

ray,

there is approximatly 7,654,450 cubic tons of snow on the east ridge of forbidden at this time.

disclaimer snow condtions could/will possibly change at any given time. in this case i will say there is approx. 7,654,449 cubic tons up there 47.5 minutes after this is posted. hope this helps!!!

[laf][big Drink]

Dude, you can either have cubic feet (yard, meters, whatever) OR tons, but not cubic tons. You could also just shorten the term, since the proper scientfic terminology for anything over 2 million tons is "a buttload." FYI, for anything under .25 grams, it is "a bongload."

The east ridge descent is fine; read Nelson's first book. I've done it twice after climbing the east ridge and north ridge routes. If you're not comfortable on the exposed third class ledges (after about five single rope raps from the top), then you should stick to the west ridge descent. Also, if you don't know which tower to look for to get back up to the east ridge, you will be frustrated and might make the local papers in the wrong sort of way. Frankly, I'd go down the west if you go up the west. No surprises that way.

Hope this helps, and be sure to post of short TR.

John Sharp